Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

My GE Profile Electronic Dishwasher isnt working properly.

My GE Profile Electronic Dishwasher isn't working properly. I tripped the circuitbreaker to reset it and then it appears to start properly but doesn't finish and then most of the buttons don't work again. Is there a fuse that might need to be replaced? If so, where is it located? Is there another problem or solution?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.
At Just Answer, we strive to help you. In order to properly assist you with your issue, a model and serial number will be required. Open the door, the tag will be applied to the frame in the door opening. I'll await your response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's a GE Profile Dishwasher. Model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX
Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for that information. So, some of the buttons don't work. What else is going on? If some, but not all the buttons are responsive, you'll need to replace the active escutcheon assembly. The part number is XXXXX and If I were you, I'd look around online at different appliance parts sites. Sears has it listed at $365 but www.marcone.com has it listed for $220

You said it appears to start, but then what? Does it just turn off or does it pause or what?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After the circuit breaker is tripped, all the buttons appear to work and it appears to start properly and run for awhile, most of the way through a cycle. Eventually though, it turns off and most of the buttons don't work again although a couple seem to still work.
Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.

Well, if some of the buttons still work, this tells me as a technician that the power control module is still able to supply the required 5 VDC. This means the active overlay on the escutcheon is failing. A lot of times, the most popular buttons, ie. start and cancel and normal start to acquire a condition called "Stuck key". It basically refers to a break down of the circuitry. There are diodes involved in that panel and since they're semi-conductors, they may work ok when you first apply power after killing the breaker. If left on, you might be having some voltage bleed through which can cause the button response to cease. I'm fairly confident that the interface panel (active escutcheon) is what you need to replace. Check your manual, you may have an extended warranty on the electronics since it's a higher end GE product. Some of them have 5 years on the electronics.

Edited by Justin on 2/18/2011 at 5:03 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I replace an interface panel? Is it easy to do yourself? And where would I get an interface panel? Would I need to order it over the internet? Would I need a GE repairman to replace it?
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.

You can get it online. Check out www.marcone.com

Yes, you can do it yourself. You remove the screws from the inner door liner (around the edges of the inner door) and then you gain access to it. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you will find it fairly easy to install yourself. If you don't feel confident, and you need a technician, I'd recommend against calling GE as their trip fee charges are exorbitant. I'd just find a local appliance repair company. You'll find their fees more reasonable than a national repair company. For instance, my company is GE authorized. That means we can repair GE appliances under warranty, the same as GE factory service. Since we're independent, we charge $60 to come to the home, while GE factory service charges $120 or more, just to show up. Does this answer your questions? I'm 95% certain you'll be successful if you replace that part. Once again, since the voltage is still there, but not all the same buttons work I'd highly doubt you have a central control problem. In nearly every instance, if any buttons work at all, but only some are failing, that strongly suggests evidence that the interface panel is the failed part. In fact, I have replaced the user interface on a lot of dishwashers for your same complaint. With some of the buttons/LEDs still responding, I order an interface 100% of the time and have been correct 100%.