Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

Can you tell me how to remove the filter on model 675.13749K601

Can you tell me how to remove the filter on model 675.13749K601? The dishwasher is not cleaning and is actually etching glasses and metal pots.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

Justin :

When you say it isn't cleaning, what exactly is your symptom? White residue left behind?

Justin :

Anyway, to remove the filter: You remove upper and lower racks. Remove spray arm by holding the center hub with a pair of pliers, hold the spray arm with your hand and then turn the hub with your pliers. Remove the water delivery tube from the rear of the tub by releasing the clips on the rear and the top of the dishwasher. Use a small flat screwdriver to pry gently on the sides of the clips. Then you turn the delivery tube at the pump filter clockwise 1/6 of a turn right where you just took the spray arm off. You'll find four T-20 screws. The filter lifts off. Is your detergent being washed away when it dispenses?

Justin :

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/K1004049-00006.png

Follow this link. Part number 1 is the filter. I'd highly suggest checking part number 6 by removing part 8 while you're down there. Make sure the chopper isn't broken. Sometimes the center hub breaks. The evidence will be the chopper perforated metal screen will be heavily clogged with debris.

Justin :

I'm showing your status as offline. I will exit "Live Chat" because of this and change this to Q and A. You will receive an email that I replied to you. Since you're offline currently, I can't stay in live chat. Just reply to the Q and A mode and I'll see it. I'm online most evenings for a few hours and it's getting late where I am right now. I hope to help you soon.

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Justin,
I just realized I was suppose to answer here instead of via email. I did send an email and I did send photos. Below is the message I sent sans photos.
------
I'm sorry, but the answer doesn't seem to match my dishwasher. I do want your answer to work, and I am more than happy to pay if it does!
We had already taken the spray arm off. What we are trying to do is get at the filter.
When we took the spray arm off we could already see three of the star screws. We took those three out yesterday. What we are having problems with is the fourth screw which is under the water delivery tube. I am wondering if in your instructions you are talking about a different model. I took some photos with my iphone, which I am happy to send if that is ok.

Justin :
When you say it isn't cleaning, what exactly is your symptom? White residue left behind? (Yes, there is a white residue. Also the dishes on top are not cleaned. I put a butter plate on the top level, it was still greasy after it went through the whole cycle. Coffee mugs still have coffee residue on the bottom of the cup when placed on the top level upside down. Glasses, which were brand new in August, look old, my husband calls them "etched." My pans look the same way--as though they have been damaged or have been used for years and years.

Justin :
Anyway, to remove the filter: You remove upper and lower racks. Remove spray arm by holding the center hub with a pair of pliers, hold the spray arm with your hand and then turn the hub with your pliers.

Remove the water delivery tube from the rear of the tub by releasing the clips on the rear and the top of the dishwasher. Use a small flat screwdriver to pry gently on the sides of the clips. Then you turn the delivery tube at the pump filter clockwise 1/6 of a turn right where you just took the spray arm off. You'll find four T-20 screws. The filter lifts off. Is your detergent being washed away when it dispenses? I can send you photos, but on my dishwasher that doesn't seem right. First, there is a screw on the back and on the top, and there are red sprayers on the back level. (I would normally just think this was just me not getting it, but my husband is an engineer and he too thinks the answer doesn't quite fit.)

Justin :

Justin :

I'm going out for dinner tonight so I might miss you tonight. I'm in Colorado, which is in the Mountain time zone. My husband will be here, but he is not well right now, which is why I am trying to fix this. I'd be happy to send photos now, but I want to play within the rules of Just Answer. Actually, I think I will send them, if you can't use them or it is against some policy, you don't have to look at them.
If that is ok, I have taken photos of 1) glasses and pans to show you the damage, 2) the dishwasher with the spray arm on the bottom removed. That is black tape on the bottom I put there so I wouldn't lose a screw. You can see that I have removed three screws and you can see how the water delivery tube is held in place with the mechanism that holds the filter, 3) the water delivery tube on the back wall, and you can see that there is a screw there plus the four red sprayers in front of it, and finally 4) the top of the water delivery tube on the top of the dishwasher, where there is another screw.

Seriously, I will understand if this is too much time and effort for the amount of time you want to spend on this. Just let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
justin,
I did reply to your answer. Please look above. Your response did not fit my machine.
I tried to send you photos. If you didn't get them in the response I sent to your email, please let me know and tell me how to send them. I will send them again. I can't accept an answer that won't work for me. Please see notes above. I tried. This has to happen soon or I need to get it repaired.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Ma'am, I looked up the model number you provided. I'll take a look at some pictures though if you'd like. Access to the pump is just as I described, but I left out that you must pull off the power scrubber (the piece on the rear with the red sprayers) Unless Sears site lists your model wrong. Send those pictures. You use the paper clip icon above the text box to do so. I never saw a reply from you until 10:31 tonight (2/21/11). Sometimes there are some site glitches in live chat, so I apologize if you were the victim of one of them. Once the pictures are sent, briefly go over exactly what you want your pictures to tell me and we'll go from there. Thanks. I don't want you to accept by the way until you're satisfied.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did send the pictures to the email. Tell me where and how to send the .jpgs and I will send them immediately. Are you on line now? It is 9:52 mountain time. m

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

You post them using the paper clip icon in THIS text box. When you reply to me, there is a paper clip icon in the tool bar above the text box. I don't know what email you sent them to, but we can't correspond via email. It's against Just Answer's policy. The only correspondence between an expert and a customer can be either through live chat or Q and A like this. I'm online for a little bit. It's nearly midnight EST.

Watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRCCrEwrst8

It might help you.

Edited by Justin on 2/22/2011 at 5:00 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Justin,
Just so you know, I want this to work. I have gone ahead an called a repair person in case it doesn't as we have company coming this weekend. If we can make it work tomorrow morning, it is good. I may become an expert on this site myself, so yes, I do want it to work. graphicgraphicfilter see three screws one hidden by flat water tubegraphic
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
You remove the screws, one at the back of the delivery tube and one near the top spinner sprayer. Then you just pull up and off on the power scrubber. Rotate the delivery tube 1/6 turn clockwise and it'll pop off the center. Once the screws are out, the delivery tube will want to come forward a bit. Just pull up and forward on the scrubber and it will pop off at the bottom. Once the scrubber is off, as I said, rotate the whole delivery tube clockwise. It's really not difficult. Once you do this, you'll have access to that fourth T 20 screw.

Edited by Justin on 2/22/2011 at 5:16 AM EST
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

I did post a link to a video.. it's about 10 minutes long, it's a good visual aid. Yours doesn't have clips like the one in the video (as that one is a stainless tank) but the screws are in place of those clips which release the tube. It's gonna be really helpful to you if you view it.

Here it is again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRCCrEwrst8

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. we will try this tomorrow. I am sorry to say that my husband is not available at the moment. (He is a dialysis patient and doesn't have a lot of energy at this time. Hopefully that will change.) We will deal with this first thing in the morning. I am so pleased you got back to us. I was about to ask for my money back but I figured if I was an expert, I might take the weekend off and that might be what happened to you. So when he is awake, we will see if this matches our problem, try it and see if it works. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX it does. mary

..
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, I never got your response until today, so I'm sorry. I was online over the weekend though and your reply did not appear.

The power scrubber thing just pops off though. Once that's away, and you can remove those two screws on the delivery tube, you'll be ok. Don't lose the plastic sleeve on the center threaded hub once you get it off. It's thin and clear.

Sorry to hear your husband is on dialysis. I know that's gotta be tough. My mother just went through breast cancer treatment, so I'm familiar with family medical stress. Just stay in touch, reply back here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I DO work M - F until around 5 PM EST, so I don't come on until the evening FYI. Talk to you later.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. We will try this first thing in the morning.
We are on mountain time.
Not sure where you are.
It's not so much the stress as I think we are ok with that, it is just that he goes to bed early and you seem to be online at that time. So let's see if we can make this work.
mary
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I'm eastern standard time. Pennsylvania. Two hours ahead of you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ahhh. Ok. We are in Denver. Really excited about whether this will work for us

Thanks Justin. Sorry about your mom's breast cancer. My mother had that and then got lung cancer too. That is much more stressful than dialysis!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, reply tomorrow then once you get that apart and I'll reply when I get home from work. I'm hitting the hay. G'night.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I woke up at early today and realized whether your answer works for us or not, you have done everything you could to help. So thank you and I hope you have a great day. When my husband gets up, we'll try this out.
Mary
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I hope I have you on the right track.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did it myself and it works. The video was brilliant-minus that they left one step out when they put everything back. Thanks Justin.
mary
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Awesome :) Videos are supremely helpful. In fact, I take out my video camera occasionally to produce repair videos. I'm happy you're satisfied.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you were in Colorado, I'd offer to help with your videos as that is my professional background.
But here's a couple of things I've noticed that many people don't do: 1) take closeups and cut them into the video 2) they skip steps that are obvious to them, but not to a neophyte.
Hope that is useful. I you accept my answer--there's no charge! :)
mary
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
LOL I just have a Sony Handicam which records video in 1080p. I use it primarily for family, friends, the dog, and to make short clips to assist customers on here. I'm no pro by any means.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The more you shoot the better you will become. I do think there is a market for the type of videos that you sent me too--possibly a web site with those videos and affiliate products--that someone with your skill could tap into. Just a thought. mary