Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

Maytag WU302 dishwasher fills normally, pump starts, there

Customer Question

Maytag WU302 dishwasher fills normally, pump starts, there is a water surge and glasses flip over and break. Has been happening for last two years. Washer did not do this the first 23 years of life.
Spinning spray head moves freely and all holes seem normally open.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.

I can't answer this for certain, but based on your description of the problem with a pressure surge:

I have seen this when the vent is either clogged or otherwise restricted or broken. The inertial pressure has to go somewhere. If the door isn't venting correctly, the first spray will be intense. On some Whirlpool built units, they vent by putting a flapper on the water inlet. Other dishwashers utilize the door vent. If I were you, I'd start looking there. Fill your DW and place your hand by the vent to see if you feel air purge out when it first starts to spray. If you feel nothing, the vent is most likely part of the issue. Without allowing the air somewhere to go when the unit starts spraying, the flipping glasses make a lot of sense to me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I'll check that, but the vent seems to operate normally during drying cycle, when hot air and steam come freely out the door vent.

I was wondering if the pump and associated piping may drain down somehow
or if the dishwasher tub is full of water but the pump is empty when it turns on, then quckly throws a slug of water through the spinner, until it has settled down into operation.
Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.
The sump fills with water when the dishwasher fills AND it's never completely empty, even after a drain. The only other things I can think of which would cause an issue are cracked spray arms (check these carefully especially around any seams) or a broken filter. I'm going after a vent first though because it makes the most sense. The vent might still work for air drying, but I've seen them get restricted with "Goo" for lack of a better word. Just trying to point you in a direction. The first spray is usually responsible for exhausting air out. If this does not occur, it can cause high pressure leaks, and flipping dishes. Take a look around and let me know if you see anything which might be out of whack. I'm not there, but I'll do what I can to help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I'll take a close look at everything. Will be away for a few days.
Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.
No problem, just reply to this post then when you come back, but not before. That will alert me you are back.
Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.
I see you left me negative feedback. Was that your intention? The comments you left seemed positive. Please let me know so I can have Just Answer correct that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not leave you negative feedback. I left positive feedback.

If you send me your email address I will send you a screen grab image of the feedback page.

Steve Bartlett
Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.
That's ok, somehow it posted negative. I had it taken care of on our end. I was confused because on my end it said negative. No worries my friend. Let me know what you find then with the dishwasher and we'll try to walk through it together when you have time.