Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

Our dishwasher washing light keeps blinking on model #fdb1050reb2

Our dishwasher "washing" light keeps blinking on model #fdb1050reb2 and won't start.
The first advice when I encounter a customer with a problem like this is to kill the circuit breaker, which you did. However, let it tripped for at least two minutes. Make sure the light on the DW does go out so you verify it's the correct breaker. If that doesn't fix it, the problem is most likely a bad control board...
One more thing. The door latch has two microswitches, one connects for line and one for neutral. You might want to verify continuity through these switches as well. If those switches are ok, the board is bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We'll check the micro-switches, i'm not sure how we'll do that. Advise?

My wife did the breaker thing once and it worked and it looks like we had to do it again (trip the circuit breaker) to get it to turn on a second time. If that's the case, and we have a bad control board, is that something worth replacing or is it so expensive that I should expect to just buy a new one.

If your wife reset the breaker and it ran, but the error has repeated, that does sound more like a control issue rather than a door lock switch issue. To test the door switch, you remove the lower screws on the inner door liner, pull down on the outer door panel and it'll come off. Then you need to remove the remaining screws. You'll need a multimeter to test the switches. Maybe a friend or neighbor can help you with the testing if you're unsure. To test for continuity, you'd pull the wires off the switches, close the door and place your meter on Ω (ohms) and it should read 0 -1 ohm. The same reading as if you'd place your meter leads together. I'm leaning towards the board as the suspect, but definitely double check those switches as it'd be cheaper.

The control board is part numberNNN-NN-NNNNand MSRP is $106.02

Edited by Justin on 2/17/2011 at 4:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. Awesome help.
Thank you for the compliment. I hope I've got you on the right track. Inside the door panel, when you remove it, you'll find a tech sheet. Look over it as there's some helpful information in there.