Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My GE refrigerator is not maintaining temperature in the refrig

Customer Question

My GE refrigerator is not maintaining temperature in the refrig portion sporatingly, but the freezer portion is perfectly ok makes ice and keeps ice cream frozen. What could be causing this problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model # XXXXX SS
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Is the refrigerator side warm now?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IT FEELS COLD BUT NOT VERY COLD, THE SETTING IS SET TO # XXXXX

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I understand. If you just opened the door leave it shut 5 minutes but go ahead and look on the freezer wall inside down low. Is there frost on that wall? Is the fan blowing in the freezer?

After the refrigerator side has been shut 5 minutes open the door and quickly put your hand in front of the vent on the top left up next to the ceiling. Is air blowing out?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am waiting for the 5 min. and will follow your instructions. Should I stay online ?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You do not have to stay online. Save this page to your favorites that way you can return whenever you need to and in case something happens you lose connection. Either way is fine. There is no rush please do not feel rushed.

Barry

Edited by Barry G on 2/16/2011 at 2:31 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just checked, there is frost on ice cream containers and some other products. Fan is blowing in Freezer. Check refrigerator and there does appear that the Fan is blowing in the refrig.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
If the food is frosted pretty good in the freezer the door was left open a little or the ice dispenser flap stuck open. In any case there will be a ton of frost in the coil set in the freezer.

In the diagram below I have arrowed the rear wall and the coils behind it. That is the lower rear part of the freezer. Remove that panel and see if the coils are not clogged with frost. If so take a hair dryer and defrost the coils. UNPLUG THE UNIT while doing this. And keep the hair dryer moving, that way you do not overheat anything plastic.

I realize this is going to take a while. I have done that many times. Once you get that done and if the coils are clogged with frost that will take care of the problem unless the damper is froze shut too. In that case do not accept my answer yet just return and let me know.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is late and I do not want to attempt this now, will try when I return from work tomorrow. How do I resume this session tomorrow. How do you remove the panel are there screws that hold it on ?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
There are 4 1/4 inch screws. I am glad you said that. I was going to stay with you until you were done but I am tired.

Save this page to your favorites, that will bring you right back here. As soon as you post I will know as it will pop right in my face.

See you then,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, your page does not show the normal browser bar, so how can I add to my favorites ????
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Really,,I did not know that. I have not seen your side of the website,,,are you getting emails?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, for delay. Had to check on another computer. Yes ! I am getting your emails and as !sume I can resume from there
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
That will work. I am sorry I did not realize that. I have been telling people to save the page for a long time your the first person to tell me.

Have a great night,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, I openned the panel and there was a little frost on the coils but not a lot. I defrosted the coils put everything back together. I noticed that the led panel to adjust the settings for the freezer and refrig. sometimes goes blank, but if change the setting it comes back on. Is there another problem that should be looked at ?? What should be a good temp. for the refrigerator ? I will wait and see if the refrig. maintains coldness.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry to be so long,,,,I thought I had better let you know I am reading just to be sure I do not miss anything.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Waiting for your response. Don't forget to let me know what the temperature should be in the refrigerator section ?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The temperature in the refrigerator should never get as high as 39. 34 to 37 degrees farenhiet is a good setting.

I am still reading about the control. I am not sure if it goes to sleep or if there is a short. Reading to be sure.
Barry

EDIT: When the control goes out what happens when you press the refrigerator door light switch off and then on? Just press it lightly.

Edited by Barry G on 2/17/2011 at 6:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will let you know the next time it goes out ! May take a few hours
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok thats fine. I may be slightly slow responding at first, according to where I am or what I am doing, but just a few minutes maximum. I will be here for the next 7 hours.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Update, when the led display goes out, gently pushing back and forth does not make it come on ! If I snap the door switch the display comes on. The temperature appears to be holding at 35 F. with the refrig. setting at "7". I reduced the freezer setting to 4 and I am now getting water dispensed where I was not before.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The water dispenser was not working? And the display still flickers?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since I reduced the temp. in the freezer to '4' the water dispenser started to work. The display does not flicker it just goes off/blank. Snapping the switch makes it go back on.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I am wondering if the water was frozen at all. The main board for the refrigerator will do just that....there is not a way to know except replace it. There is not a way to test it.

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure I understand you ! What main board are you refering to ? what is the part no. and approximately what does it cost. I believe the freezer was set too high, but not sure !
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The main board controls everything your unit does. The part number is XXXXX and it is arrowed in the diagram below, thats the back of your unit. The price depends on where you purchase it but somewhere around $120 from a reputable parts dealer.

If you think the freezer was set to high thats ok..I believe you. If you continue to have problems replace the main board. Now you have the part number in case you need it later on. To replace it just follow the instruction sheet that comes with it.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Edited by Barry G on 2/17/2011 at 10:54 PM EST
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been very helpfull and very patient. Very satisfied with you and this experience. Thanks again
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Remember you can return and ask followup questions. I mentioned this in case something happens in the near future, I am almost always here and I will always respond.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well I still have a problem. Worked for awhile and then started to warm. Even the frezzer started to get warm but not completely. I just replaced the control panel. Waiting to see if that helps. The refrig blower still does not seem to be blowing.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Can you hear anything operating at all or is all silent?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think I discovered the problem. The coils where completely frozen. I am defrosting them now. Question ? why are the coils frezzing up ? After defrosting I will test the refrigerature.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
There are a few reasons. Did you find frost on the food this time? Or was the freezer food just normally frosted?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Most of the frost was on the coils. What temp should the freezer be at ? Just checked and after defrosting coils refrigerator fan is now blowing
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Great. The freezer needs to be between 0 and 10 degrees. Closer to 0 if you can.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is cooling down now waiting to see how cold it gets
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok let me know how it goes. It will take the refrigerator side a lot longer if its warm, the cold has to be transferred over from the freezer to cool the fresh food side.

Barry