S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

Dryer MED5600TQ0 does nothing. There is power to terminal on

Customer Question

Dryer MED5600TQ0 does nothing. There is power to terminal on back of machine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. were you already working with someone on this problem?

Customer:

no

S.E.Thomas :

ok. do you have a volt meter?

S.E.Thomas :

are you there?

S.E.Thomas :

Are you available?

Customer:

yes, I have a volt meter

S.E.Thomas :

can you please check the power across the two outside terminals of the plug. just slide it out far enough to get your test leads to touch them. you should have 220-240 volts

Customer:

I have done that and checked the same way on the back of the dryer and had 220-240

S.E.Thomas :

ok the next thing to test is the thermal fuse.

S.E.Thomas :

set the meter to read continuity

Customer:

ok

S.E.Thomas :

do you have the rear cover off of the dryer?

Customer:

No, give me a few min. Thanks

S.E.Thomas :

sure. remove the entire rear cover. make sure the dryer is unpluged before starting

Customer:

dryer is unplugged and back cover is off

S.E.Thomas :

ok, looking at the lower right corner is the element.

S.E.Thomas :

at the top of that metal tube there is a thermal cut off. it looks like this.

S.E.Thomas :

it may differ slightly. remove the 2 wires from it and check it for continuity

S.E.Thomas :

the one shown in the pic on the left is the high limit thermostat, this is the one at the bottom of the tube on the element. you want to test the one at the top.

Customer:

that shows continuity

S.E.Thomas :

next check the one at the bottom that is right on the element

Customer:

that one shows continuity . the one end is connected to a post in something like a terminal block

S.E.Thomas :

yes that is the element terminal.

S.E.Thomas :

you say you have already checked the door switch and the push to start switch correct?

Customer:

I checked the door switch and not sure what to check but where there was an open, it closed when I moved the switch. On off button, not sure what I was checking there except a single wire came off and went to a little block and a wire came out of the other side of the block. Disconnected those wires and had continuity thru the block

S.E.Thomas :

usually the thermal cut off is the problem when the dryer will not start. if everything we have tested is showing good then you have either a bad motor or timer. let me see if i can find a wiring diagram for this model

S.E.Thomas :

remove the rear cover of the control panel

Customer:

I have that off and I have a wiring diagram

S.E.Thomas :

set the timer to the auto dry cycle

S.E.Thomas :

remove the black wire and check continuity from the terminal to the blue wire

Customer:

you talking about the wires on the timer, they are in a connector

S.E.Thomas :

yes, if this has them in the plastic connectors take note of the black wire and the blue wire, remove the connectors and check continuity from the terminal that the black was on to the terminal that the blue was on.

Customer:

timer is in auto dry and there is continuity between the terminals of the black and blue

S.E.Thomas :

check from the black to red

S.E.Thomas :

you did unplug the connectors correct?

Customer:

I unplugged the connector and am checking terminals on the timer. there is continuity between black and red

S.E.Thomas :

check t to w and check TM to WB

Customer:

t to w - continuity TM to WB - continuity

S.E.Thomas :

ok, that rules out the timer. we had to miss something somewhere

S.E.Thomas :

you removed the wires when you tested the thermal fuse and thermal cut off correct?

Customer:

Yes. Not real sure of on off switch

S.E.Thomas :

looking at the switch there is 2 blue wires and a pink and black correct?

Customer:

yes

S.E.Thomas :

if you test from the pink and black to the 2 blues you should get continuity to one of the blue wires. and not to the other.

S.E.Thomas :

now that you know which one does not have continuity test from the pink and black to the blue that does not have continuity, when the start button is pushed you should get continuity.

Customer:

checking the wires or terminals they go on?

S.E.Thomas :

the terminals. never check continuity with wires on as you can get a false reading

Customer:

I found which blue had no continuity with the pink and black and while holding the button,I did have continuity

S.E.Thomas :

then the switch is working correctly.

S.E.Thomas :

does the dryer bake any noise at all when the start button is pushed?

Customer:

none at all

S.E.Thomas :

looking at the rear of the dryer there is a cycling thermostat on the lower left side on the blower housing. do you see it?

S.E.Thomas :

remove the wires and check it for continuity.

S.E.Thomas :

this will not stop the motor from running but check it anyway.

S.E.Thomas :

also check the continuity of the buzzer. it is the black box in the control panel. it should read 1000-3000 ohms

Customer:

there are 4 wires on the thermostat

S.E.Thomas :

you want to check the outside two

S.E.Thomas :

usually they are larger terminals than the inside two

S.E.Thomas :

please recheck the door switch. you have a white, blue and an orange i believe. with the door closed you should have continuity from the white to the blue.

S.E.Thomas :

is there also a thermostat on the metal tube where we checked the thermal cut offs?

Customer:

thermostat showed continuity. If I had the buzzer, it showed continuity 000

Customer:

Customer:

thermostat showed continuity and buzzer did too, 000, I'll check door switch

Customer:

door closed, continuity between white and blue

S.E.Thomas :

well we have checked everything that can possibly stop the dryer from starting. the next thing i would check is the plug on the motor. make sure that it is plugged in completely.

S.E.Thomas :

after the plug is checked on the motor the next thing to do is leave the drum out of the dryer, make sure everything is plugged back in, and test for power at the motor. was the dryer ever making a growling noise when it was being started?

Customer:

Wife said it never made any growling. I don't have the drum out. down on left beside thermostat is a little strip with a wire on each end? Also right in the middle of dryer back is a square can with 2 wires coming out the bottom. Don't know what these things are.

S.E.Thomas :

that is the other fuse. thought you checked it. please check it

S.E.Thomas :

is is white with one 1/4 inch screw in it?

Customer:

it's white with one screw and no continuity. Could I jumper between the wires to momentarily check to see if everything works?

S.E.Thomas :

yes, jump them together. this is the other thermal fuse, i thought we checked it. i may have overlooked it. sorry its been a long day

S.E.Thomas :

this is your problem if it does not have continuity

S.E.Thomas :

yoiu can slide the two together to test it

S.E.Thomas :

for some reason the diagram i am looking at for this model number does not show this fuse.

S.E.Thomas :

did it start?

Customer:

Started, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I pay you now?

S.E.Thomas :

just press the accept button

S.E.Thomas :

your very welcome and thank you

S.E.Thomas :

there should be an accept button on your page

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance