william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

I have a Frigidaire Gallery Dishwasher that is not cleaning

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire Gallery Dishwasher that is not cleaning dishes properly. It was purchased in 202 and installed when home was built. Up until a few months ago it seemed to work fine, now I have noticed the dishes have either a residue or minor food particles upon completion of cycle. The model is: GLDB746AS1 made by Electrolux here locally. They apparently do not have it listed on available parts list. I am considering a relatively minimal expense to repair myself or replace at last resort. Help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Have you checked the little screen thats in the water valve selenoid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not...please clarify so I understand where the part is located for me to diassemble to check. thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you currently working on answer?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

You usally just have to go buy a new one meaning the water valve selenoid these are not serviced. If it is clogged then that will be your problem. You know where the main water line goes to and hookes to the dishwasher thats the water valve selenoid That im talking about. Check that before we go any further. Make sure the power is off going to the machine by switching it off at the breaker.

Im working on it it just takes time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No problem on timing- How will I be able to determine if the selenoid needs to be replaced? Will I need to disassemble in order to inspect?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

You should be able to take the waterline off and possibly take the wiring harness off that just clips on it. Then take the screw out and you should be able to take it out then just look into it. Use a flashlight if you have to. You will see if its clogged or not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

William,

I would like to work on this to be able to accept payment. In case there is another issue...will you give me about 10 minutes to work on this then reply. Sounds pretty simple, for the most part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have cut power at breaker off- am removing water line at the moment and removing wires after that-wait one.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are 4 nuts where the water line comes in, do I remove them? The 1/2 waterline coming from the sink is attached...fortunately I remembered to turn the valve off! I have not removed the water connection yet until I get your input. Attached to the back of the selenoid is the wiring harnus , which I have disconnected at this point.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

You will need to remove the water line there should be a nut that you just unscrew then the water line should come out after you take off that nut.

Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Here go to the bottom of this page and watch this video.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/1378823

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Waterline is off. Now looking at 4 nuts on plate waterline is attached. On nut has a wire that runs back to the wiring harness which is a part of the selenoid unit. You are advising taking all 4 nuts that secure the brass where the waterline was attached?

Also, I have now successfully removed entire solenoid and am inspecting. I will view video.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Screen looks great! A very small piece of trash on the margin, but less than a 1mm. Now what?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
ok Have you ever heard of that product called dishwasher magic?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it like Jet Dry...rinsing aid?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Do you know that there is a filter in this. No not at all its a cleaning ajent.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, there is an actual water filter inside this assembly with the motor and intake that when it becomes"clogged" will dimish waterflow enough to dissipate velocity necessary to spin arms?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

I think there are 2 of them in there but to take the spray are out there should be 2 clips just unclip them and the sprayer should pull right out there you will be able to see the filters check it out if there dirty clean them the put back and give it a try. Heres adiagram for you. There are parts for this machine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I removed #60-the solenoid- have dissassembled inspected and reassembled. There is no apparent wear. Is this the only origin for the symptoms I have described?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Theres the filters did you get my last post?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no filters; I have completely disassembled and reassembled. The plastic parts appear to have holes designed to filter. Not sure at this point what the solution to this problem is.

Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Did you get that diagram that i posted that showed where the filters are at?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
The filters are under the bottom spinner inside the dishwasher.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you are talking about the baskets in the dishwasher, they are clear!
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Baskets? No not that these filters are under the bottom spinner. This is what i posted earlier that is what you need to look at.

View Full Image

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am referring to the ones under the spinner, All of the parts on the schematic have been inspected! It is a rather simple machine. The only issue not discussed is the main pump-whether it is not delivering enough pressure or not. Have we identified the problem?
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Thats a funny way of calling them a filter but you do have a circulation pump on this si would that that is bad. i will show you a picture here in a second.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Here it is here theres a video that goes with this to check it out. Look near the bottom for the video.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Circulation-Pump/1255954

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

William, after disassembly of the water inlet, I have reassembled everyting and I think I may have to get another dishwasher instead of fixing this one. We did not identify the problem at this point. Perhaps using an ohm meter to check the motor would be next step before replacing it as you are discussing. Thank you for trying to help me.

Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.

Apperntly it is working but its not enough to do the job. Your gonna get proper readings. Thats alot of money fot that pump it would be better to get a new d/w. Good luck sir it was nice working with you have a good evening.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you as well! Seek God first in everything and He will surely direct your path and make them straight.
Expert:  william replied 3 years ago.
Thats true if you are satisfied with what we done here do you think you can press the accept button even though you put a deposit down im not paid entil you press the accept button thanks.