S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a Maytag washer. Model # LAT9406. This morning I started

I have a Maytag washer. Model # XXXXX This morning I started to fill the washer to do a load and after a few seconds of water running in, it just quit. I checked to see if a breaker had been blown, or if the plug-in was working. Both are fine. It has been very cold here. Could something inside the washer be frozen and caused this problem? It doesn't appear that the lines coming into the washer are frozen. Is there someplace on the washer to reset it? It doesn't even make a humming sound when it is turned on. We really can't afford to have someone come out for repairs.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 6 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. This usually is caused by a bad lid switch.

S.E.Thomas :

to check this you will need to remove the control panel. give me one min to pull up your model

S.E.Thomas :

there is a possibility of 2 different switches on this washer. i will need you to remove the control panel and see which one this machine has. you need to remove the 3 screws across the top of the control panel and then the 2 1/4 inch screws holding the bottom of the rear cover. take the rear cover off and let me know which switch you have. i will send you a pic of the two you tell me which one.

Customer:

OK, give me a few minutes.

S.E.Thomas :

Full Size Image

Enlarge Photo
THIS ONE OR

S.E.Thomas :

if it is not that one then it will be a black plate with two switches and a fuse on it.

S.E.Thomas :

let me know what you find

Customer:

I think it is the black plate.

Customer:

Could it just be the fuse?

S.E.Thomas :

yes but you do not replace just the fuse. if the fuse has blown then this means that one of the two switches has gone bad. you will change the entire switch assembly. if you just change the fuse it will just blow over and over again.

S.E.Thomas :

this can be ordered at www.appliancepartspros.com

S.E.Thomas :

here is the part number and price.

Customer:

Is this hard to install?

S.E.Thomas :

not at all. just make sure you do not cross any wires. remove the wires one at a time and replace them to the new switch.

S.E.Thomas :

there is just one screw holding the switch plate in.

S.E.Thomas :

it will then hinge up out.

S.E.Thomas :

when you install the new one it needs to be adjusted. to do this you put it in place and put the screw back in but do not tighten it. leave the lid closed and slide the switch forward till you hear the switch click, once you hear the click go just a 1/16th more and tighten the screw.

S.E.Thomas :

im sorry, i said that wrong

S.E.Thomas :

standing in front of the washer you will slide the switch to the rear of the washer till it clicks. NOT TO THE FRONT.

Customer:

OK. I'll try that. Just to make sure - you don't think this has anything to do with something being frozen?

S.E.Thomas :

if it was something frozen it should not have filled at all. you can remove the lines from the rear of the washer and see if you have water flowing out of them., if you do not then they are frozen. if the water runs then they are not frozen. you should also hear a faint humn from the water valve if they are working.

S.E.Thomas :

you should check it just to be sure. like i said though if it was filling with water then quit then i dont believe that anything was frozen.

Customer:

OK. thank you for your help. I am in a very big hurry to get this fixed, so I am going to call our local appliance parts store and see if they have one.

S.E.Thomas :

they should have it on stock. this is a common part. you will just pay a little more from them.

S.E.Thomas :

your welcome and thank you. please do not forget to accept.