Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Our GE Cafe refrigerators (CFCP1NIYC-SS) freezer is not working

Customer Question

Our GE Cafe refrigerator's (CFCP1NIYC-SS) freezer is not working right. Reads 12 - when press to 0, goes right back to 12. This refrigerator is less than one year old!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Barry and I will be assisting you.

Look in the freezer please the very rear wall is there any frost at all on that wall? Press the freezer door light switch, can you hear or feel a fan operating in there?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Barry-
It's a bottom freezer- cannot see any frost. We do hear the fam operating when the freezer opens.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello there,
Thank you, there is a fan in there if you hear any other sounds from other components the fan should be operating. Look at the back wall really good, that is where all the cold comes in. It could be frosty and warm the freezer.

Also let me know if you hear the other sounds.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, the only place where we feel frost is underneath the ice bin. We cannot see any frost otherwise. When I opened the freezer this time, did NOT hear the fan. Does it come on only sometimes? Did not hear any other sounds.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Yes the fan might be wired to the door light switch but if you do not hear anything its not going to come on either. Everything comes on at once.

Unplug the unit for 10 minutes and see if the main board resets. Also do you have a volt meter?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, we'll unplug the fridge for 10 minutes. Sorry- we don't have a volt meter. Will keep our fingers crossed!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes me too I am crossing my fingers. Let me know and please I am here 11 more hours so take your time today and be safe..

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Barry. When we re-plug refrigerator should we know quickly if the board has reset? Should we do anything specific? or just set the controls at 0 and 37 degrees? Only a couple of more minutes left b/f we plug it back in.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
It may go into the defrost cycle for about 15 minutes if it does. So give it 15 minutes after you plug it in. You will be listening for the compressor to come on and the fans. One of which is the freezer fan. Yes you can set the controls where they normally go but once you get them set in a few seconds they will not reflect the temperature you have set, they will show the actual temperatures.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, the freezer control side now says 27 instead of 0. When we first opened the door, it said 0 (for a second or two) and then jumped to 27 (previously was reading 12). The refrigerator control side says 40 instead of 37. We have tried several times to set it at 0 and 37- but it reverts to 27 and 40.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Any sounds at all?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a good sound in the freezer. (Is that the compressor?) And there is a very mild sound in the refrigerator. We are not sure which is the fan and which is the compressor.
The temp in the freezer is listed as 25 and main fridge at 41.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Great save this page to your favorites so you can return later. I will be here 10 more hours. I have arrowed below the area in the freezer where the fan is located. That is the rear freezer inside panel. Let it run for a while and let me know what the unit is doing. I want to be sure the unit is cooling before I send you an accept button.

Barry

CLICK TO ENALRGE
graphic
View Full Image
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, these numbers are way off. They should be 0 in the freezer and 37 in the refrigerator. Are you saying these numbers will correct themselves. . . we are worried not only about getting the appliance working property, but about loosing food with such high temperatures. How long can we wait with such high numbers before the food spoils?
We also don't understand why the freezer temp jumped from 12 . . . to 27, when we only unplugged the appliance for 10 minutes.
Thanks.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Not long it may already be spoiled. I cannot do more than I am doing now. The numbers you are looking at when you do not touch the control is the actual temperature inside. When you touch it you are adjusting to the desired temperature then in a few seconds it is reverting to show you the actual temperature. Leave the doors shut. If that freezer fan is operating the temperature should start to drop.

The control does not show the desired setting until you touch it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. We will leave it for a couple of hours and see if it goes down. We'll get back to you then.
Thanks.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome, when the unit goes down like that the manufactorer recommends 24 hours to allow the temperatures to become stable. I know its not going to take that long but it will take a while. A couple of hours and hopefully you will see those numbers going down.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, The fridge seems to have leveled off well. The freezer is back to 0 and the regular fridge side is at 36. We set it for 37, but presume your advice is on target and it might take more time to get to 37. Thanks for your work. It's a good service. This is our positive reference, and of course, you may bill us for the $24.00 service fee. Well earned.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate your confidence...thank you. You need to click accept.

Thank you for using our service and have a nice weekend.

Barry