Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello, I have the Electric Dryer model GE Profile DPSE810EG0WT.

I have the Electric Dryer model GE Profile DPSE810EG0WT. There is a crack in some plastic/rubber trim just inside the drum. This trim I believe also houses the light bulb from the inside. The problem is the crack is catching draw strings and pieces of clothing- damaging the clothes and causing some burn marks. I'm wary of fire danger. Can I replace this part and will that solve my problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Yes you can replace the part in it will take care of the problem however you need also to replace the drum glides that go on this, these are what the drum rides on and when they wear down or go missing and causes the drum to ride on the plastic cowling piece, you can order both parts at this link, there are three of the glides I believe on yours that go along the top of that plastic piece, here is a diagram of the assembly, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 2/11/2011 at 1:40 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this a technical replacement job? It sounds a little daunting to a hack like me. Also I'm not sure that is the correct part. This trim goes the entire perimeter of the opening just inside the drum. It is cracked in the upper left corner, while looking at the opening from the front.
And let me get this straight, your saying the glides are worn down, so the drum is out of whack and caused the crack in that trim piece? Could this be a fire hazard?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
It shouldn't be a fire hazard no, but that is actually two pieces not one complete plastic part that goes around the whole drum, this job is a little bit of work, you need to remove the front of the machine to get to it, I believe if you open your door and look up when the door closes at the top on the machine itself there will be two Philip head screws you need to remove and lift the top and pull it out from the rear, this will give you access to the two screws down along the sides on the inside of the front panel so you can remove the panel, make sure you unplug the machine before attempting this, remove the wires from the door switch and lift the whole front off the bottom clips, then you'll see what I'm talking about, we do a lot of these they just wear down, there plastic so only last so long before they wear out, thanks, Bryan