Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

The control panel on my maytag fridge MOD# XXXXX has locked

Customer Question

The control panel on my maytag fridge MOD# XXXXX has locked up and no longer functions. There is no lockout button. Touching any button on the panel produces a beep but no change, except the cooling system on/off button which will work to turn the cooling system on or off. the ice/water dispenser is part of this panel and also does not work. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Were you getting water just before it locked up? Thats important, can you remember?

Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My wife was filling a 1 Gal. bottle when the unit quit.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
This is going to take me just a bit. I need to read, please be patient.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
There are a couple of things to try so lets start with this one and you can let me know if it worked or not. If not we will go to the next.

Hold the Lock/Unlock button for three seconds. The green indicator light above will go out. Test for water.

Let me know,
Barry

Edited by Barry G on 2/10/2011 at 7:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Barry, as stated in my original post there is no Lock/Unlock button.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, that came right out of the service manual for your model number. Obviously thats junk.

Try this one.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Barry, printed and followed instructions to the letter. No results, the panel is unchanged and does not respond.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Thats ok. We are still going for cheap. Last one I have. Follow the instructions but do this.

reset code to 0000 and save.
then reset code to correct # XXXXX save
unplug for 5 minutes
Cross your fingers.

plug back in and safety is reset all features should operate normally.

Let me know,
Barry

Edited by Barry G on 2/10/2011 at 9:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess you misunderstand, Pressing and holding the buttons produces no results. The panel does not display PE, I am unable to enter any codes.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Does the display work at all? Does it display a thing? Unplug the unit 5 minutes and plug it back in. Then try again.

Barry

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The display shows the current temp setting of the freezer and fridge compartments. neither can be adjusted. The cooling system on/off button will turn the cooling system on and off. Beyond that, as I stated pressing any other button only produces a single beep each time a button is pressed. This includes the water and ice dispenser paddle. The light above Temp Alarm is illuminated, but the light in the dispenser area is disabled also.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
I understand. Some units have an area for filling pitchers of water. Does yours have a place for that? If so was she using that when the problem occurred?

Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The area for filling water is approx. the size of a standard water glass. She was filling a 1 gal. water container by holding it at an angle and depressing the dispenser paddle. This unit has no area desinged specifically for filling pitchers. The water and Ice dispenser is located just below the control panel as is commonly found in most units of this type.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, I really think she tripped the flood control. Let me read some more, the manuals I have been reading from are for styles of Maytag models and yours is listed right in the models list. Maybe I have one for your model only.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
I really would have thought the flood control was tripped. Its such a common problem.

There are no more manuals. Not even at Maytag, all thats there is what I have already been through. There are 2 boards involved, the high voltage board which sends power to the control which you touch. That part your touching is the board which sends the signal back to the main control board to open the water valve or turn on the ice crusher for example. That board you touch is the low voltage board.

I am thinking your touch control is working which is the low voltage board, because it beeps and it does turn the unit off and on. Seems to me the high voltage board is not opening and closing the relays. We can test this if you have a volt meter. Do you have one? Can you borrow one? Its worth testing both boards are expensive.

Barry