Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my rangetop wont heat up, just a little bit. the lites on

my rangetop won't heat up, just a little bit. the lites on the switch don't come on but the lites that say burner on and stovetop hot come on. I don't think the oven is coming on either.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

do you have breakers or fuses in your home? do you have a volt meter? can you get me the full model #?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have breakers, a new circuit breaker was installed and he increased the amount of electicity before it flips over. I did just flip the breakers over and back. where is the model number located?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
is there a bottom drawer? look in there. do you have a meter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll look what do you mean by a meter?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
a multi meter (volt meter)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
would that be on the breaker box?
the model is
JP 68m0k4bs
gm(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
no, a voltmeter is a tool you use to check voltage, let me take a look at the model I'll be back shortly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
how old is this range? it seems to be pretty old by the model #. do you have tools to take the back panel off? if so remember before doing any repair unplug the range
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
actually it is pretty new. I will look at the back and see I think I have a couple types of screw drivers
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, you need to check where the power cord connects, is one of the wires burned off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i hsve to remove one more screw to see it
Also I think the range should be a 2005 model, so it is a few years old
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the model number may be wrong from what I was looking at, does is have solid burners or is it a glass top?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is a glass top
I did find where the insulation around one wire is burned a white wire and part of the white area near the tip is lite brown also
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the white wire is the neutral wire, this can cause your problem it seems like something overheated this, without a voltmeter however this is very difficult for you to trace, at this point even though I hate to tell people this without the proper equipment to test this you will need a technician to come out and trace the issue down, this requires electrical equipment specifically a voltmeter and know how to test continuity through the wiring, my advice to you at this point is to call a technician in, unless you know somebody that can help you test this, wish I could do more but my hands are tied unless you have the correct equipment to test this with, you can try and look at all the wiring and see if you can find one that is completely burned in half or melted, but the problem is you need to find out why this happened, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.