Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello, I have a whirlpool glass top range that the top burner

Hello, I have a whirlpool glass top range that the top burner just stopped working.
It is all burners and they start up when switched on then go right back off. Can you offer what may be needed or wrong?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

does the oven still work? So what you're saying is all of the top burners do the same thing correct? You turn one on in it starts up the shuts off?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Yes oven still works. All burners are acting the same, you turn them on they light up then go off and do not start back up.
Okay the infinite switches I wired in a sequence, one of your infinite switches is bad or you have a bad wire running along the infinite switches, it's nearly impossible in fact is impossible for all the switches to go bad at once, but since these are all wired together one can affect the rest, this is what the switches look like, you would need to have the switches tested individually to see which one is causing the issue, this needs to be done with a multimeter and you need to have knowledge of testing electrical components, you can however check for a bad wire of a bad connection somewhere between the switches, you may have one of the connectors that is burnt and is not making contact therefore not keeping constant power to the switches, you would need to remove the panel on the back of the control, please unplug the range before doing this, if you do not have electrical experience testing the switches is impossible, it's not something you can see wrong usually, the switches are number 4 on this diagram, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Bryan, is it possible to buy 1 switch and move around till I find the faulty one?
well there are two different swithes, different wattages for the small burners and the large burners so you would need two. you will probably find a bad wire I hope, this happens a lot.