Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My mother in law passed away and we didnt use the dishwasher

My mother in law passed away and we didn't use the dishwasher for about six months until someone started now leaves an oily substance on dishes..what could that be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

what was the name of the cleaner you used? this oily substance is probably all the old soap and water thats built up in the pump assembly, what is the make and model # ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the rentors are not there but do you recommend a way to clean the pump ...? vinegar? the cleaner was just one you buy at groecery store to disenfect and clean dishwasher. i can find out more later

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well vinegar does help but we are not sure what we are dealing with, if there was an old pan of cooking in this before and it just sat there and not being used this can settle down in the sump assembly, this can be very hard to clean, white vinegar the medium sized bottle is a good way to start, run the machine until it fills and pour a bottle in the bottom and let it run through, then do this a couple of more times, no dishes or soap. and another trick i learned is to pour some tang breakfast drink into the bottom and let it run through, this stuff is very acidic and does a great job breaking up oily water in the machine. try those things and see if it clears up. thanks Bryan