How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have a GE Profile Microwave Oven, Model #JVM1860SD001.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a GE Profile Microwave Oven, Model #JVM1860SD001. The Microwave makes a buzzing noise when the door is opened and the light is on and the buzzing continues after you close the door. I unplugged the machine and after turning back on the buzzing continues until I reset the clock. Once the closk is reset the machine seemed okay until I opened the door again and the buzzing starts over again. Any ideas what this may be?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.


is this buzzing loud? does the sound come from the control board area?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, Bryan

The buzzing is medium. When I go to put the lights on underneath to shine on range the buzzing gets even louder. Hard for me to tell where the buzzing is coming from.

it may be the low voltage transformer but it sounds like one of the door switches is also bad, there are also relays on the smart board that could be buzzing, maybe the one for the lights underneath, its really hard to say. the one thing you don't want to do is go pocking around in the control panel area, this can be extremely dangerous, here is the warning on this.

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.



Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven


its best to unplug this and call a tech. since we dont know what the issue is you dont want to take any chances, if this overheats it could catch fire, sounds like the control board though, this can be expensive to repair, wish i could do more , sorry, thanks Bryan

Bryan and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions