John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a Woods Upright freezer That in the defrost cycle the

Customer Question

I have a Wood's Upright freezer That in the defrost cycle the drain out hole freezes and does not allow the water to drain out. I do not know what causes this to happen.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hi I'm John I will help you with the problem.

The foam at the drain gets saturated with moisture thats why it keeps icing up.

The wire that you used to push down the drain you can use a copper wire that size or bigger and hook that on to the defrost element so every time the freezer defrost the wire will heat up thawing the ice in the drain tube so no more water leaking.

If I helped you with the problem please Accept , a Bonus and A feedback is appreciated.

The Appliance doc.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To do what you suggest I would have to find the defrost heater. Do you how I can get a manual for this freezer? I do not see it listed.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

I cant find your model number in the system.

This is the kit you can get from Whirlpool it will stop the freezing up of the drain tube.

Hope I helped you with the problem.Please Accept thats how we get paid.

If you require more assistance let me know please.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear John: Based on your answer to my problem of ice forming in the defrost hole of my freezer, I ordered the heater probe you recommended. It made sense to me that clamping a probe to the heater and putting part in the defrost hole would keep it frost free and apparently I'm not the only person with this problem. However, you should have cautioned me that the probe, as noted in the installation instructions, is designed for a cal rod heater. I t is also noted that the probe should not be used with a glass lined heater . I had no way of knowing what type of heater is in my freezer until I removed the evaporator cover. It's a glass lined heater. So now I'm out the $36. for your answer that does not work and a $17. part that I can't use. You should provide me with an answer that will cure my problem or refund my money

Aron Hoffman

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

The model you sent me isn't in the system and most drain heaters are the cal rod type .

This wire here i just found should do the trick for you.