S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

What could cause fine dark brown sand like substance being

What could cause fine "dark brown sand like" substance being discharged on occasional loads into drain tub with water? Maybe 5-6 tablespoons in the tub.

5 year old Model: MTW6300TQ0
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 6 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. there is nothing inside the machine that is this color or that would create this sand like substance. is this happening every load?

JACUSTOMER-3zut5b4n- :

We can only see it in significant amounts on some loads. The "sand" is so fine that it might be there sometimes.

JACUSTOMER-3zut5b4n- :

I put some of it in a baggie. Its is very fine and almost feels like a graphite powder if that makes sense?

JACUSTOMER-3zut5b4n- :

Mostly appears in first load after machine has been sitting for a while. I suppose it could be coming in from water line?

JACUSTOMER-3zut5b4n- :

Laundry is coming out fine. So whatever this is seems to be inert, not coloring or sticking to the clothes.

S.E.Thomas :

it is possible that it is coming from the water. most likely the hot water tank. it would be rare that it is coming from the washer. one thing you can check is the screens in the water valve. to do this turn the water off and remove the water lines to the washer. right inside the plastic valve where the lines attach there are screens. these will catch anything that it not extremely fine. if you see some of this there then you know that it is coming from the water and not the washer.