Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an Amana fridge on top/ freezer on bottom combo 29.5

I have an Amana fridge on top/ freezer on bottom combo 29.5" wide. When the freezer door is closed the ice maker seems to make a strange noise that sounds like the grinding of teeth. The noise is a cyclic constant. It will happen for about 2 seconds, stop for 2 seconds or so, then start again. It has been happening since yeasterday.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

the ice maker heater isn't comming on, the ice maker is trying to cycle but cant turn, is it still ejecting ice? probably not, open the freezer and push the light switch in and make sure the noise is comming from the ice maker,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's definitely coming from the ice maker and it has not been making any new ice. Is this a fix I can do myself if I cut power... do I need a new part? Thanks.
well to replace the heater assembly is as much as a new ice maker , I would suggest replacing the ice maker, you can do that yourself, there are just a few screws holding it , you can see how it hangs on them in the picture and there is one underneath also, this comes with instructions and you can order it @ thanks Bryan