Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Model RSD22A Fridge stopped working

Customer Question

Model RSD22A Fridge stopped working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

is the fan in the freezer running? or was it before you stated to work on this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Bryan, my name is Peter. When the fridge is plugged in the only things that work are the lights.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, most likely its stuck in defrost, do you know where your defrost timer is? if so take a flat head screw driver and turn the gray dial clockwise and see if the fans come on. If the fans are not running its not the relay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't find the defrost timer. I thought it was near the compressor. Will it look identical to the one you've showed me? There is a device at the front of the fridge behind the kick plate but it doesn't have a slot for a screw driver. It's an older model and I can't find any diagrams showing the location of the timer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the diagram I found doesn't really show where its located, its part # XXXXX on this, yours may look different than the one I showed you though, the one I showed you is the replacement which they may have changed. can you take the part down thats behind the kick plate in the front ? thats probably it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
. The device that's behind the kick plate is black and has a round part with a silver piece in the middle. I'll try to see if I can find where I can turn it with a screw driver.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
does it have 4 wires going to it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't see how many wires are on there. My wife is in the kitchen. I've just turned the dial with a slotted screw driver and the fridge started up.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

ok great that was it, you need to replace it, heres a link to the new one, and it comes with instructions, thanks Bryan

link,

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Timer/1335

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I let it run now will it cool the fridge until I replace the timer? We have some food that's going to spoil. Will I be able to find the OEM timer or will I need to get the one in the picture? The place where I bought the relay today has universal timers but should I get one from a Maytag dealer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yeah a universal will work fine, and it should run fine until you get a new one, if it does stop just turn it again its an 8 hour timer, 8 hours of run time and about 1/2 hour to 1 hour defrost,thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks a lot Bryan.

Peter

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your very welcome. thank you. well wishes Bryan