Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi. Our 300 series dishwasher was not dispensing the detergent

Hi. Our 300 series dishwasher was not dispensing the detergent packets. When the cycle's done, the pack is on the bottom of the door.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you start the machine and let it fill then open the door and tell me how much water is in the bottom?

Edited by Bryan on 2/8/2011 at 8:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, Bryan, I could, however, I just went to fill the jet dry reservoir and filled it with Dawn instead of Jet Dry! Now I don't know what to do!!!!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
oh thats not good, if you run it now it will suds all over the place, you will need to take the door apart now to remove the jet dry dispenser and clean it out, there is a tank in the door, do you have the tools to do that? if so let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope! I'm looking at the door and the bottom is kind of hidden up against the cabinets! I'll have my husband take a look when he gets home.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, just have him get back to me, you need to clean the pump trap. I can tell him how to do that, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Bryan! I'll do that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay. thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan. We got the door off and the little box that holds the detergent and jet dry. Are we just supposed to let the dawn drip out and rinse it? Or is there a way to get that back part off? My husband says it looks as if the two parts are sealed together.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
can you send me the full model # ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

The Model # XXXXX: MDB6759AWS2. We were able to get all of the Dawn out and tried running the machine again last night. No bubbly mess - thank God, but still, that dang detergent packet's being spit out at the end of the cycle as it was again at the bottom of the door.

Do you think we're going to have to have someone come out to service it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, when you ran this after it first fillled how much water was in the bottom?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh, i have no idea. Should i run it now and check? And can i open it when it's running? I thought it locked once it started?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes , start the machine and let it fill then open the door and tell me how much water in inches there is in the bottom.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, so I just did what you asked. I never realized that I could even open the dishwasher while it was running! The bottom of the tub is slanted so I measured out towards the edges and there's an inch of water at that point. Probably more in the center section. I had turned the "Sanitize" button of (which is ALWAYS)on, in case that locked the thing. When I went to measure the water, the soap packet in the bottom of the tub. Now I can't remember though if I closed the soap dispenser cover!

Sorry if I'm making this worse for you to figure out! :(
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

is the water up to or over the heater? can you hear the machine sloshing the water around when this is running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If the heater is the black element-looking thing (I think that's it) then no, the water is below that. I can definitely hear it sloshing around.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
does the heater look like it has any burn marks on it? how far below the heater is the water?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The water is about a 1/4-1/2 in below the heater. The heater has no burn marks on it. It was replaced around August I think, due to a recall.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I think this is a water level problem. the water should be above the heater, the heater heats the water and thats how the detergent desolves, hot wtare, if the heater isnt in the water it doesnt heat, you need to replace the inlet valve, this is a timed fill and the valve isnt letting enough water in with the time the timer alots for fill, once the timer goes past a certain point it shuts the valve off, you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/1515140 thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this part easy to get to for us to install ourselves?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes , you remove the bottom panel under the door and its in the front of the machine, shut the water off under the sink , its on the feft side in the front of the machine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay thanks. My husband wants me to ask you if this could be caused by a clog somewhere? We've had to have clean out the sink screens and are looking into getting our water filter replaced. We seem to get a build up in some places. We thought we had a water pressure issue but it turned out to be clogs. Could this affect this problem too?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats what causes the valve not to open fully. inside the valve gets clogged and doesn't open all the way, you cant really clean the inside of the valve however, you need to replace it. thats the most common reason for failure in these. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.