Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a General Electric Washer, model no. WPSQ312OT8WW, that

Customer Question

I have a General Electric Washer, model no. WPSQ312OT8WW, that will not spin to wring out the clothes...it washes okay but will not spin to dry the wet clothes. Before this happened the machine made a loud "screeching" noise when it spun to dry the wet clothes.

Last night I started to disassemble the machine, but I am stuck on how to remove the aggitator. Please tell me how to do that. After I remove the aggitator what other problems might I encounter?

Also, what part(s) do I need to replace to eliminate the "screeching" and get the machine to spin?

Thanks..........Terry Lowell
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

do you have the front panel off yet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I started by trying to remove the aggitator, but stopped when I could not remove it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok, well the front panel has to come off because I think your problem is a burned up belt, there are two clips you need to put a putty knife in between the top and front and push them up while pulling out at the top of the front panel. then it will lift off the bottom clips, your belt will be there. the clips are # XXXXX on this diagram,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. To claify: I can remove the front panal without removing the top, etc.? Also, why do you think it is the belt? The machine works in the wash cycle and it used to make noise in the dry cycle, but now it doesn't work at all.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
these reverse direction when the go to spin, I was going to have you try to spin the pulley by hand to see if the transmission locked up. you can take the front off without removing the top.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan. I've clicked the green accept button and will give you some feedback tomorrow after I try.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sure no problem, just let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good morning Bryan,

Last night I removed the front panel and, by hand, checked the belt and pushed to belt forward and backward; the belt feels fine and the tub moved in both directions. My wife then ran the machine with no clothes in it, i.e., it filled, washed, drained and spun...all properly. I laid on the floor and watched the motor/belt spin the drum in one direction and then reverse during the spin cycle. Next my wife put in a light load of clothes. The machine, filled, washed and drained but did not spin. Again I laid on the floor and watched the motor and belt. The motor/belt worked properly during the wash/drain cycles. During the spin cycle the motor spun but the belt did not turn. I could tell this by watching the bottom of the motor shaft (I could see Clip Clutch Spring, part no. 412 shown on the motor, etc. parts diagram), I could see the clutch spring turn at what looked like normal spin speed. What do you think is wrong? BTW: your telling me how to remove the front panel alone was worth $14...thanks. Let me know the charge for this latest advice.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok this means the clutch is worn and slipping. these are expensive however. $128.76 @ this blue link. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/All-Products-Parts/WH5X256/0026/ 363/Model-WPSQ3120T2WW/0432/0153000?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0153000&searchModelNumber=WPSQ3120T2WW&subCompDesc=Suspension,%20pump%20&%20drive%20components&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=WASHER&blt=11 the part # is WH5X256 you may find it cheaper somewhere if you search the web, the only way to give me any more money is to leave a bonus if you wish, you already accepted so thats what I get a percentage of that. if you need more help let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan, I will give you a bonus. However, what do I have to do to replace the clutch? In other words, how much of the machine do I have to take apart? In what order? Do I need special tools?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

not hard to do really. the best way is to loosen the motor nuts underneath the motor and slide it towards the big pulley, remove the belt then the clip that holds it and it will drop down, sometimes it easier to remove the whole motor and clutch and replace it on the floor, same basic idea though loosen and remove the nuts holding the motor. you can do this with what you already have removed, the front panel, heres the clutch and the diagrams,

View Full Image

View Full Image
thanks Bryan

, P.S no special tools required, just a wrench and screw driver maybe a pair of pliers.