Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a GE triton XL dishwasher that wont drain. The water

Customer Question

I have a GE triton XL dishwasher that won't drain. The water sprays inside the dishwasher like normal as the machine goes through the wash/rinse cyle. However, when the machine goes to the drain cycle, the water remains in the machine. As far as I can tell the pump is not running to pump out the water. Are there 2 different pumps in the machine, one for washing and one for pumping water to the drain? Is it possible for me to spin the pump/impeller manually to determine that it is not just some piece of debris wedged inside the pump that pumps water to the drain?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please provide your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
model #GSD6200GOOWW The machine was installed new about 9 years ago and has never had any problems until now.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Number 325 in the picture is the drain pump. Number 328 is a check valve that is usually the cause of drain issues. You will need to pull the dishwasher out of the cabinet to access these parts.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So how do I confirm that these parts are working correctly? Can this be done w/out disassembling the parts?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
No, you will need to disassemble the parts to see the check valve. There is something that is preventing the water from flowing through. Once you get it pulled out it is not difficult to take the drain apart to check it out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Upon following your advice/information, I pulled a bread bag twist tie out of the check valve and reassembled things. The twist tie didn't seem like it could have kept the check valve open very far, if at all, considering the way it was positioned. But, that appeared to take care of the problem as the dishwasher drained/pumped the water out, and so I paid you---I thought. Later, I received your email about only paying a deposit and needing to accept your answer for you to receive payment.

However, after running 2 or 3 loads in the dishwasher, the same problem appears to have returned. Today, I finally had time to inspect the check valve again and there appears to be no obstruction of any type to remove. The check valve is nothing more than a circular, rubber flap---if I'm looking at the right part. Do you have any other suggestions as to what else might be causing the problem? My dishwasher is pulled out and laying on it's side on the floor waiting for fixing. My wife is threatening to boycott manual dishwashing, so I need to make something else clean dishes---me or the dishwasher. I'll be waiting for your suggestions.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
There are 2 check valves, number 328 & 464 at the middle of the drain hose assembly where the 2 hoses go together.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took the two hoses apart and did a visual inspection and could not see anything. I put my mouth on the hose and blew. The check valve closed/sealed and air did not go through, as expected. I turned to the other hose and blew the standing water in the hose out into the sink drain. Finally, I blew on the other end of the hose by the drain pump and the air came through the check valve (#464) without any problems. All appears to be fine with the hoses and check valves from the drain pump to the sink drain. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
If the water path is clear, remove the drain pump and inspect the impeller for damage. If the fins are not all intact, it will not pump properly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
took the housing off of the impeller and everything looks good. The impeller/motor shaft turns by hand---seems to spin/work properly. What next? Try and hotwire the motor to see if that runs?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
That would be the next step. If the drain path is all clear and the check valves are not hanging up, there has to be an issue with the pump. Either it is not getting power or the impeller is spinning on the motor shaft. The few loads that worked are rather baffling, especially since it is not working again. You are sure it is not draining and not just getting water back flowing from the sink or disposal, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is definately NOT back flowing from the sink, and we have no disposal. The impeller does not spin on the motor shaft. When I spin the impeller, I can feel the resistance from the motor. It feels like a spring is attached. After turning the impeller past the "mid-point" (about 1/4 turn) it springs forward another 1/4 turn and stops. I assume this is normal operation.

The last load of dishes ran and I opened the dishwasher door shortly after it was done. I noticed the water standing at the bottom. I then ran the rinse cylce again. I could hear the water spraying around inside. When the cycle ended, I could hear a buzzing/humming sound but there was no sound of water flowing/pumping/draining away. This is exactlyl what it did the first time. Is it possible there is something wrong with the motor on the drain pump? A bad spot on the brushes or rotor? This might explain why it ran a few times after the first inpection---it just happened to stop on the bad spot and wouldn't run again??? I would guess those little motors last a long time and it isn't likely that this one burned out. How would I test/run the motor to find out?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
The motor is designed with a "push pull" type drive...the magnet pushes form one side and pulls on the other when electricity is applied. It is possible that the motor is defective. If you have eliminated any drain obstruction and backflow issues, it cannot be anything else if you hear the hum of the motor. I would suggest replacing the drain motor. The part number is WD26X10016, available at www.appliancezone.com for $52.29 + shipping.