Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

the hose from my tub to the pump comes off when the spin cycle

the hose from my tub to the pump comes off when the spin cycle ends the machine makes a quick stop and hose comes off
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

So when this comes to the end of the spin the machine comes to a real fast and sudden stop and does a bang?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not so much a bang as a squeek put unit completly moves like hitting the brakes real hard and fast

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
That's exactly what it is the break assembly is worn and when this comes to a stop it jams up rather come to a smooth stop, this is something that you need a lot of special tools and equipment to replace, it is very dangerous to work on these because they are spring-loaded if you take it apart wrong this could fly off and kill you, its a really compressed spring in it. It's number 11 on this diagram,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
you need a special assembly to remove this, this tool alone could be more the machine is worth, either have somebody come out and replace it for you or replace the machine, wish I had better news I wish it was an easy repair, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this why the aggetater shaft is loose from bottom section how much to replace the complete drive or should I just get a new machine
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yeah the whole thing is loose, probably wore out the bearings also, to be honest job cost you more than the machine most likely, I would replace the machine and get a whirlpool direct drive top load washer, these are the most reliable machines on the market today, keep it a simple one though no bells and whistles and just a timer that you turn in your water settings all you really need, you will be really happy with one of those that's for sure and when they do break down you can usually fix it yourself at a very low-cost, hope this helps in your decision, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the one I have is direct drive ..right? not many bells and whistles the one feature I do like is it has a S/S tub got at a home depot scratch and dent about 6 yrs ago

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
No actually the one you have is a belt drive, the problem with belt drives is they can put a lot of pressure on the Bearing assembly in them, that's part of the reason why they wear like they do, on a direct drive the motor is connected directly to the transmission via a coupling, which is a much better set up less wear and tear, the stainless steel tubs are nice but they're no better than the whirlpools which have plastic tubs which never rust either, I believe they do sell some whirlpool direct drive washers with stainless tubs but you really don't need it trust me these machines are good machines, like I said you could do almost any repair on those yourself.