Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Why does my whirlpool microwave heat intermittenly, sometimes

Why does my whirlpool microwave heat intermittenly, sometimes it just warms and sometimes it does alright. For the most prt, it does not heat properly. Its a 3 yr. old gold series model #gh5184xpb-5.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

unfortunately the magnetron is getting weak.

soon it will stop heating all together, this is the magnetron,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
this needs to be repaired by a technician however, the high voltage capacitor can store enough voltage to kill you even when unplugged, please have an authorized service technician repair this. Be safe, Thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this the only possibility it could be? Maybe a sensor, or a thermostat?
Usually it's the magnetron about 90% of the time anyway there is no sensor that senses the heat or a thermostat, the main control board supplies power to the magnetron in intervals and that's how you get your heating on this, for higher heat the magnetron stays on for a longer period but that's all it does it goes on off to cook the food, when these get weak the food will end up being just warm instead of hot because the magnetron is not either coming on for staying on long enough to cook the food,