Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my whirlpool duet front load dryer will not start. turns on

Customer Question

my whirlpool duet front load dryer will not start. turns on when power button pushed but blinks the cycle light and beeps if you press start
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you get us the full model number?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model # XXXXX XXXXX
SER # XXXXX XXXXX
TYPE is DAD-ELE-2406024-EL57
my dryer lights all come on. my cycle light blinks and if I push the start button it beeps and wont do anything else. no matter what cyle I put it on the light blinks. Have made sure door is shut.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so it won't start at all. This most likely is the thermal fuse that's blown,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
these go all the time its the safety fuse, if this Burns out the dryer won't start, it's part number 59 on this diagram,

Register Here
you need to remove the bottom panel under the door number 61 on this diagram,

Register Here
remove the screws at the bottom of the panel. Then remove the panel, check this thermal fuse for continuity, if it has no continuity replace it, you can order this@ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/2986?modelNumber=GEW9250PW1 enters a video there that shows you how to test it, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 2/6/2011 at 4:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my dryer did the same thing 2 weeks ago and my husband pushed some buttons but cant remember what he pushed. wouldn't the fuse go completely out and not got out then work again then go out??
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

oh okay that's weird, I'm not sure what he pushed, but it sounds like you may have a door switch issue, you right about the thermal fuse if it one out two weeks ago and it was the thermal fuse you would've needed the change it before would run again but the door switch however might be contacting sometimes and not all of the time, this sounds more like the issue, this is what it says in the service manual,

Try this

WON'T START CYCLE

WHEN START BUTTON IS

PRESSED.

1. If number display flashes, check to be sure the

door is completely shut, and press and hold

down Start for about 1 second.

Did this show any fault codes at any time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no fault codes shows at any time. continues to flash cycle light and beep. have tried to shut door and hold start button.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

ok, do you think you can put this in diagnostic mode?

ACTIVATING THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE

1. Be sure the dryer is in Standby Mode (plugged in and all

indicators off).

2. Press the following button sequence: More Time ? Less

Time ? More Time ? Less Time - all within 5 seconds.

3. All indicators on the console are illuminated with "88"

showing in the "Estimated Time Remaining" (two-digit)

display, if this test mode has been entered successfully

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes will try...give me a few minutes. kids just came in...thanks so much for your info. will definetely pay when resolved!!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay no problem, let me know when you're ready and have it in diagnostic mode, I will run you through some tests to run, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok its in diagnostic mode all lights are on and display shows 6E
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok that came up right away? no "88" in the window?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope. 6E
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I will need to do some research because that code does not come up even in the diagnostic mode, this may take a little while give me some time to research it, I got a feeling however your control board may be bad, when a code shows up that's not included in the code list it's usually the control board that scrambled the computer-chip anyway, let me do some more research and I'll get back to you, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well everything that I can find is pointing to the door switch, you would need in meter in know how to check continuity in order to test this however, even if the light comes on inside when you open the door doesn't mean this switch is good, this is a two-way switch and I have the feeling it's bad, this is the switch.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
You can order one of these at, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Switch-Assembly/905837 in this should take care your issue, thanks and well wishes, Bryan