Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

my whirlpool duet dryer wont start a cycle. The power light

my whirlpool duet dryer won't start a cycle. The power light comes on, but when I push and hold start, it just beeps, but never starts turning. Any idea what's wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. Does it beep 3 times?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, three quick beeps, and the number (drying time) flashes. I did some internet research and sounds like that happens when the door isn't latching properly. It looks like the top plastic clip that the latch goes into is maybe cracked. Can those be replaced or fixed?
Yes you can replace the latch. You have to pry the old one out. Does the light turn off when you close the door?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just noticed the light is out. A few weeks ago, it seemed like the light was staying on when I'd shut the door, but I just figured it hadn't latched all the way. So if that was the case, the bulb probably just burned out from being on all the time?

Yes but most the time this happens you have a bad door switch. Press the door close firmly and try to start the dryer. If it doesn't start you will need to replace the switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. I tried that already, and it didn't work. So the switch it is ... is that something I can order and install myself or do I need a service tech?
You can replace it if you are pretty handy. Unplug the washer and remove the top panel by removing the screws in the back of it. Use a long flathead screwdriver to press the locking tabs on the switch. You can order the part from. www.repairclinic.com
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years