Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

GE Range JBP85. After power failure, number keypad changed

GE Range JBP85. After power failure, number keypad changed functionality. Keypad designed for direct entry of number for either temp or clock settings. Now, in bake function, #7 adds 5 degrees, and 0 subtracts 5 degrees. In clock or timer fn, 0 set timer to 9:59, 9 and 8 subtract 1 minute, and 5 and 6 set to 9 hours. All other fn buttons appear to work properly

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

This is not good, means a control is scrambled otherwise it's like a computer is logic in it in the logic is bad. There's no reset for it the only way to repair this would be to change the clock control, you only get a partial model number so I haven't got the clock number for you yet, can you get me the full model number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model: JBP8580B4BB; Serial AA2 169230

Okay I found your control, it's $150.49 at this blue link, partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Range-Parts/WB27T10217/0022/364/Model-JBP85BB4BB/0432/0124111?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0124111&searchModelNumber=JBP85BB4BB&subCompDesc=Control%20panel&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=ELECTRIC-RANGE&blt=11

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
the part number is XXXXX if you want to search for a better price, a lot of places do not have this stock where I'm sending you is to Sears, hope this helps thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You call it a clock control. Note the keypad does not acccept numrical entry for temperature input either. Will this correct both problems?

In most cases yes however the glass touchpad if that is the problem which you need a special touchpad test kit to determine is no longer available, there is one thing you can try you can go to Lowe's and get some HQ contact cleaner and unplugged the keypad glass from the clock control, spray it down real good both the ribbon from the keypad and the clock receptacle a ribbon plugs into real good in put it back together, sometimes if you're lucky this will cure the problem, technicians have special touchpad testers but they are expensive and not the the average person to buy, about 8/10 times however it turns out to be the clock, and because you had a power surge or power outage prior to this problem that's my best guess at your problem, of course I'm not there so this is the best I can do for you, try the HQ contact cleaner and see if that works I am including a link to all the parts and diagrams so you can possibly get this done yourself, click this blue link for all the parts and diagrams,

Edited by Bryan on 2/5/2011 at 9:29 PM EST