Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

8 year-old kenmore 11042832 front load washer started to knock

8 year-old kenmore 11042832 front load washer started to knock at start of spin cycle and becomes very noisy as it continues to end. Now it started to make loud noise as it start the wash cycle and as the drum spin slowly. Checked and found the front plastic lip supporting/keeping the stainless drum center has deteriorated. Is it worth repairing? Have not disassembled the tub and drum yet, so do not know what else has deteriorated and causing the loud noise. Is the easy to fix (apprximately how many hours for an amateur)? How much will it cost to buy the replacement parts and fix it myself?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

To be quite honest no, the reason this is happening is the rear bearing is gone, this requires replacing the whole rear drum assembly, and because front is worn now deteriorated you probably need to replace that also, this is a real serious problem with these and that's one heck of job to do, the parts alone would probably run you. Well let's see the rear tub is around $230 and the front is around $170, that's not to mention the 6 to 8 hours to tear the whole machine apart to change these, I would replace the machine at this point, that's my honest opinion, hope this helps thanks, Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 2/5/2011 at 8:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The rear bearing seems to be still good as I can easily turn the drum. Do you mean I have to replace the whole tub to fix the front deteriorated plastic and possibly the bearing and its housing?
I know the Bearing feels good because you turn the drum easily but that's not the reason the reason is the Bearing and when it's under load the drum jumps up and down and that's what hit's the front it's not supposed to hit or deteriorate the front at all, so yes you would need to replace the drum and the housing because the bearing comes pressed into the rear drum, if you reach in and lift up on the stainless tub you will feel the play in it, this is extremely common problem on these machines and they only last 5 to 7 years on average before the rear bearing goes so unfortunately she would need to replace it, if you want I will send you a link to the parts, just let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, please send me the link to the parts and the parts supplier/dealer in Toronto where I can purchase the parts. Please, also provide me a step by step procedure to guide me how to disassemble the plastic tub from the spings and shock absorbers that are supporting/holding it.

Sorry I can get you the part numbers but you will have to research the parts up there, as far step-by-step procedures I'm sorry but there are just too many steps to write this all out and it would be a month to do,

the rear tub with the Bearing is part number, 285984

and the front tub part number is,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there a repair manual I can access online to guide me to replace the tub?

Do you mean I only have to buy the rear and front tub which is no. 8 and no. 21 on the parts drawing?

Actually there is a place you can buy manuals for this online and I think you can download directly to your computer also, in yes you need to replace number 8 and number 21,

here are the links to the manuals online, is putting you machine model number and I will bring it up. And then you have to pay for it they don't give out for free thats for sure, the link is below. I really hope this helps you I've done my best but that's about all I can do, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Sorry for the delay.</p><p>Is it safe to say that $400 is the most I will spend on parts to fix the washer.</p><p>I tried the site but does not have the service manual.</p>
should be around that, usually thats all you need. a lot of labor though. difficult job, scale 1-10 ? 8, good luck and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

In case I decide to replace the washer, which brand and model is best in value you would recommend that is comparable to my old kenmore model.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Checked some brands and models recommended by professional testers and users, and found the 4.3 CU. FT. Samsung WF330ANW on sale for $750, WF340 for $900.

Are these washers good?

they are as good as any nowadays, a lot of the Samsung"s are build by Maytag but I'm not sure on that model. all washers have trouble eventually, the heavier the loads you do the faster they have problems, try not to overload them, thanks Bryan