Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my electric dryer drum will not spin but it has power.

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

So when you push start you don't hear the motor or anything come on? It's just completely dead? Except for the control panel some things like that light up correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
everything lights up on the control panel, I can spin the drum freely by hand. Just doesn't spin.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay you need to replace the thermal fuse in this,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
if you click on this blue link it will take you to the part and a video on how to replace it, this is an extremely common problem and we replace these all the time, here is the link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/2986?modelNumber=GEW9200LL1 if you have a voltmeter you can check that thermal fuse for continuity if it has none is bad thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

where would I buy it, how much should it cost?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took the back panel off and I'm not seeing the fuse that you are describing
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about that, I had to step out, on your dryer it is inside not on the back, I just looked at the diagrams, it's on the blower assembly inside the dryer, what you need to do is take the bottom access panel off under the door in the front, there are three screws down real low to the floor you almost have to lay on the floor to look at them take them out and pull the panel off, the thermal fuse located on the blower assembly part number 59 on the diagram,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
make sure your dryer is unplugged before doing this, the part is $14.58 at this link,

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Whirlpool-Parts/Dryer-Parts/3392519/0026/110/Model-GEW9200LL1 /1198/0151200?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=GEW9200LL1&subCompDesc=Bulkhead%20parts%20optional%20parts%20(not%20included)&brandDesc=WHIRLPOOL&modelDesc=RESIDENTIAL-DRYER&blt=11 you have anymore questions please feel free to reply again, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just changed the fuse and when I try to start the dryer it makes one clicking sound and will not start.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
does the drum turn freely by hand?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it seems to turn fine

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
was this clicking like that before you changed it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, but it makes just one click when you try to start it , and a beep

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, you didnt say that in the first posts, do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no I don't, the clicking sound is the sound that it always makes when you start it so it seemed normal to me.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
are there any fault codes comming up in the led display?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nope, everything looks normal

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

ok, I hope I have the right info for diagnostic testing, try this.

ACTIVATING THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE

1. Be sure the dryer is in Standby Mode (plugged in and all

indicators off).

2. Press the following button sequence: More Time ? Less

Time ? More Time ? Less Time - all within 5 seconds.

3. All indicators on the console are illuminated with "88"

showing in the "Estimated Time Remaining" (two-digit)

display, if this test mode has been entered successfully.

let me know if it goes into diagnostic mode.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
every light on the dryer lit up, also has the digit #88 like you said
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

ok great, now we test the door switch operation.

Diagnostic: Door Switch

Opening the door should cause a beep tone and a number and

letter to be indicated in the two-digit display. Closing the door

firmly should cause a beep tone and the display to go blank or

indicate "88".

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3E comes up when you open the door then goes back to 88 when the door is closed

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

E3 error code is displayed:

If the E3 error code is displayed, there is a user interface or software

mismatch. It is also possible that a component on the console

electronics or the machine control electronics has failed. Check

functions of buttons before replacing the machine control

electronics.

This gets tougher from here, I believe the control board has failed, I don't want heavy start putting parts in this is that we are not sure about, as far as running in the other tests these need to be done by a technician unfortunately, there are so many things in this machine could be the problem we could be on here for months trying to figure out, there's only so far I can go online with this, there are about 100 pages of technical information that would be impossible to go through all of them with you, I can't download the test procedures either whirlpool not allow that, what you can do however is look in the machine either in the bottom or under the top panel and there may be a technical sheet in there that will walk you through some other test you can do, that's about all I can do, sorry, well wishes though, thanks, Bryan