Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Maytag Washing machine that will not agitate, model

We have a Maytag Washing machine that will not agitate, model # XXXXX series 01-503639JJ. What do we do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

What exactly happens after this fills with water? Does it just sit there and do nothing or do you hearing motor running and it's just not agitating? If you advance this to drain does it drain?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hear motor running and can drain but no agitation
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay you need to check the belts, take the drain hose out of the drain, pull the machine away from the wall, and Tip it back so you can see underneath, there are two belts, one runs to the pump across the front of the machine underneath and the other one runs to the big pulley on the transmission is that belt off or broken?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will move unit out to check and reply
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay no problem,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
both belts look to be in good shape, what now?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay can you take the big belt off and spin the big pulley and see the agitator turns? Also does the agitator feel loose in the tub?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
which belt runs the agitator? The transmilssion belt which is fixed to the center of the unit or the belt running from across the front side of the unit?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

The transmission belt runs the agitator, not the one along the front, just roll the belt off the big pulley,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got under unit, the central drive has a 3/4" white fiber "belt" that is stuck or wedged between body of unit and top of gear drive above belt. The pulleys move about 3/4 turn and then stop. This belt is wedges in two places and is obviously cut or broken. I am beiginning to believe this may be beyond me.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
It it very well could be, sounds like it's run off the center pulley and get caught up inside and between, you can't get it loose? If you can you might have to calling technician to come out replace them, both belt should be done at one time on these, you should never do just one because a stretch it won't work correctly if you replace just one belt, I hope I at least got you on the right track, thanks and well wishes, Bryan