Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my dryer is making a shrieking noise. Is there a belt that

my dryer is making a shrieking noise. Is there a belt that could be loose? Where would we get one at? Or some other issue possibly?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get us the full model # ? open the door and there will be a tag. if its not there look along the top of the control panel as if you were looking over the machine towards the back.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
model # XXXXX
Okay great, there are usually only two things that will cause this, one is the drum support wheels,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
or two the idler pulley,

Register Here
you will need to take the machine apart though to find out which one is seizing up, the complete diagrams are at this blue link, this will help you in getting this machine apart, it's been my experience that it's usually a drum support wheel that is the issue, however I have run into the pulley being bad, you should be a look tell by spinning them and see if there tight and binding up, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks alot, greatly appreciated. Do I have to go to a Maytag dealer or an appliance store for a new one(whatever that may be) same part basicallyis what I'm asking?
It doesn't have to be a Maytag dealer, most all appliance parts stores carry these, I can give you the part numbers which will make it easier for you to call local companies see if they have them, the drum sport wheels are part number,
37001042, these run around $7.00 each

in the pulley number is, Y54414 this runs around $5.50 . Hope this is useful, thanks, Bryan