John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

Hi. I put a damper in the stove pipe and the wood stove worked

Hi. I put a damper in the stove pipe and the wood stove worked fine. Then the damper didn't seem to be working properly so I took the pipe apart made sure the damper rod was in right and put the pipe back together. Now when I try to light a fire I get smoke coming out of every connection of the pipe and when I open the door smoke pours out. I've put the pipe back together and used new stove piping several times, got what I thought was a good tight fit and still smoke pours out every where. Can you please help? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you should check the roof cap for a nesting critter or a buildup of spider webs.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey John. I should also mention that there is smoke pouring out of the top of the chimney as well. We've had a lot of ice and snow could it be partially clogged?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
I suspect you have an ice blockage in the chimney, especially, if the snow is wind driven. The best way to test the theory is to run a wire through the chimney cap to see if it stops before reaching the burn area.