Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirlpool Duet washer that keeps giving me a f20 signal.

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Duet washer that keeps giving me a f20 signal. Now I have checked the water flow which is good. The machine fills up in the same time as it always has. But when the filling is complete this F20 signal comes on and the washer will not go into wash mode. It skips the wash mode and wants only to drain out all the water that was just filled in.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

the F20 is a pressure switch problem, can you get me the full model number? It should be right inside the door when you open it, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay great this your pressure switch,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
these are common failure on these machines you will need to replace it, it's part number 23 on this diagram,

Register Here
you need to remove the top of the washer to get to this, there are screws along the back of the top you remove to get the top off, the part is $19.80 at this blue link, it's not hard to replace an you can do this yourself, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just received the new part and installed it. It did not work. Same F20 alert I had before. Now what?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
try blowing through the tube back into the tub and see if its clogged, according to the manual this is the issue the pressure switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, the tube was clear and tried another cycle to no avail. any other ideas?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is the pump clear? the drain pump?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I ended up calling an appliance repair man to fix the washer. There were two things. 1. The hose to the pressure switch had a hole on the bottom of it, from a mouse chewing on it. 2. there was a wire that was eaten thru also.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Wow, I've seen mice do a lot of damage, in fact I had one in my house in he chewed through the drain hose on my dishwasher but it ran under the cabinets so I didn't know so every time the dishwasher drained it sprayed water under my cabinets where we couldn't see it, so you know what happened next the floor rotted and had to be replaced, well I was on the right track I guess as far as your repair went we were in the general area the tube at least, well wishes and thanks, Bryan