Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi I have a thre year old GE electric range that started tripping

Hi I have a thre year old GE electric range that started tripping the breaker. When I turn on the oven it works. As soon as I start any of the burners it trips the breaker. This problem started in the last two weeks and has gone from tripping so once in a while to instant tripping when a burner is turned on.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get us the full model # ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HI Brian,

GE electric range model JB710SMSS

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
does this happen with just the burner being turned on and the oven off also? it happens on all the burners? no matter which one you try?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I turn on the oven it is fine. When I turn on any of the burners it instantly trips.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok, you either have a shorted wire in the control panel or one of your infinete switches is shorted, ( the infinete switch are the burner controls) these are wired in sequence and if one is bad it can affect them all and trip the breaker, the first thing you need to do is to pull range away from the wall and remove the back panels,(unplug range first) look at the wiring very closely coming off the infinite switches, you may have one that has melted and is possibly shorting out in the control panel, this is the diagram,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
there are five infinite switches , you need to will to go over the wiring real good and look for a melted wire, if you don't find one there is a problem with one of the infinite switches, shorted out inside most likely, this can be difficult to find, you can look at the switches is however and see if you see any parts that look melted or burnt, if you can't find anything that looks bad you may need to call a technician to test each individual switch, it could also be the wiring going to the burners which is under the glass top, this may be one you will want to get into though, check the things I told you and hopefully you find a bad wire and are able to repair it, thanks and well wishes, Bryan