S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

hello. My maytag dishwasher, a jetclean dishwasher, Quiet

hello. My maytag dishwasher, a jetclean dishwasher, Quiet Pack, has a problem. Tonight, I noticed a inch of foul smelling brown liquid int he the bottom of the washer and dishes not cleaned in the rack. When I pressed "Drain" it rain for a few minutes, but the water remained int he bottom. Can you please advise?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 5 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. Have you had any plumbing work or a new garbage disposal installed recently?

Customer :

No, we haven't. Washer has worked fine for several years.

S.E.Thomas :

the first thing you need to do is remove the drain hose from where it is connected under the sink and put it in a bucket. set the washer to the drain cycle and see if it will drain into the bucket.

S.E.Thomas :

also please get me the complete model number from inside the door opening

Customer :

OK; model is MDB5400AWW;

Customer :

I should disconnect the flexible hose from where it enters the top of the disposal unit under the sink?

S.E.Thomas :

yes. many times it will clog right where it connects to the disposal

S.E.Thomas :

are you in the us?

Customer :

Yes, in USA; I disconnected the hose; only a tablespoon full of water came out with the "drain" cycle. It's still running, but nothing is draining.

S.E.Thomas :

are you sure that it is a 4 in the model number?

Customer :

You're right--number is XXXXX to read, but it is MDB5100AWW

S.E.Thomas :

ok the next most likely thing is something broke in or around the impeller. do you have torx bits or screwdrivers?

S.E.Thomas :

they are the stars?

Customer :

I have screwdrivers

S.E.Thomas :

i mean torx screwdrivers?

S.E.Thomas :

you will need these to take the pump apart

Customer :

Can you describe a torx ? I'll go check my screwdriver set.

S.E.Thomas :

they look like stars

S.E.Thomas :

you will need a t 10,and 15

Customer :

Yep, I've got them both.

S.E.Thomas :

ok remove the lower rack

Customer :

done

S.E.Thomas :

next unscrew the center round plastic piece in the lower wash are by hand and remove

S.E.Thomas :

once that is removed remove the t 15 screws around the outer cover and lift cover off.

S.E.Thomas :

let me know when you are that far

Customer :

Do you mean the 12 inch plastic plate witht he lawn mower blade attached to it? It rotates freely, but doesn't seem to want to unscrew.

S.E.Thomas :

yes. in the center there is a 2 inch round plastic nut

Customer :

Yes, I've removed the two inch plastic nut, a loose piece of molded plastic that fits in the center and the plate with mower blade just came off easily.

S.E.Thomas :

great, now remove the t 15 screws

Customer :

I have to drain the water with a sponge before I can see where the screw are it will take me a few minutes

S.E.Thomas :

ok

Customer :

Done, I took that part off and now see a plastic piece that looks like a propeller.

S.E.Thomas :

lift that and the filter up off

S.E.Thomas :

you will then see a dome piece with 5/15 screws on it (i believe) remove these and lift it off

Customer :

Yes, done.

Customer :

I need ot do more draining. Will take three minutes.

S.E.Thomas :

next you will see the black impeller, it has one t10 screw in the center. this is what you want to inspect. before removing the screw see if it will lift off

Customer :

I've drained it, mostly and see three bolts around a 6 inch dome shaped piece with a central tower.

Customer :

Should I take those three bolts out?

S.E.Thomas :

yes, remove those

Customer :

I'll go get a wrench.

S.E.Thomas :

ok

Customer :

Yes, that was hard, but the three bolts are off and I've lifted off the whijte platic part to reveal a black disc that rotates freely.

S.E.Thomas :

the motor is spinning with it correct?

Customer :

Yes, I think so, there is a little resistance to turning it.

S.E.Thomas :

will it lift off?

Customer :

no

S.E.Thomas :

look inside the dome piece you took off, is the inside of it still attached?

Customer :

Well, the white colred central tower spins and the cream colred base, the dome shaped part, appears intact.

S.E.Thomas :

try and blow back through the drain hose

Customer :

No flow of air at all.

S.E.Thomas :

there has to be something in the hose somewhere. i do not understand how but there must be.

S.E.Thomas :

in order to check this hose you pretty much need to remove the dishwasher from the cabinet

Customer :

Rats. Alright, I'll do that. Once I unscrew the cabinet and remove it from the under sink, can I remove the hose fromt he machine and ream it with a plumber's snake and reattach? Any suggestions?

S.E.Thomas :

yes.

S.E.Thomas :

you have checked all other pieces that have to do with the drain cycle. if you can not move ait through the hose somehow it is clogged somewhere

Customer :

Alright. Then I can try to put it back together?

S.E.Thomas :

here is a break down that will help, feel free to ask if you forget something

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | Pump & Motor replacement parts for Maytag MDB5100AWW Dishwasher - Undercounter
Full Size Image

Customer :

Thank you. XXXXX let you know tomorrow how it went?

S.E.Thomas :

yes. i will be here off and on all day. just post back to me and i will reply asap!!

Customer :

Thanks.

S.E.Thomas :

your welcome

S.E.Thomas :

i have not heard back from you. What did you find out?

Customer :

Mr. Thomas; thanks for your help. It was a gargantuan struggle to remove washer from under sink and remove drain hose, but that was the problem as you suspected. About a 6 inch clog with white grease (?) and jar label paper that I had to use the snake throught both ends to dislodge. Then put back together and reconnected (of course it leaked the first two times!

Customer :

But all's well --Thanks again for your advice and handholding. I've accepted and am awfully pleased. You give a great service.