Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The display on my DE27C Dryer went out. Replaced the display

The display on my DE27C Dryer went out. Replaced the display module and still no change. What else should I be looking for?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

I did you come about changing the display module? Were you told that could be the problem? Does anything light up at all?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I really appreciate your thoughts on this... Originally, the display went blank but the dryer would still run (we just couldn"t see the cycles we were selecting). I called Fisher&Paykel and they suggested unplugging the machine for 30minutes or more to reset the "computer". After plugging it back in, the dryer did nothing but make a series of 4 beeps and then absolutely nothing. I had an A&E Service Tech come out (terrible byt the way) who put a volt meter on every part of the machine and concluded with assistance from tech support somewhere that it was indeed the display module. They wanted $450 to replace so I called Lowes Appliance parts and installed the part myself for $250. And of course, its doin exactly the same as it did with the old display module.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
give me a few minutes to see if I can find the service manual for this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

I'm still looking for your exact model number, I found some DE models but can't find the DE27C, it's very strange to replacing the control that has the readout incorporated into the control that you can't see it, I have been looking at the service technical sheets on the dryer and there is a diagnostic mode in these, I fear however the control board that was installed is faulty, but try this,

5.3 Diagnostic Mode

5.3.1 Entering the Diagnostic Mode

(a) Turn the power supply to the dryer on.

(b) Press and hold the Auto Dry down button, then press the Power button.

The dryer is now in level 0 of the diagnostic mode. After initial entry into the diagnostic mode, the

Start/Pause button operates the dryer as normal. Press the Auto Dry up or down buttons to scroll

through the fault levels.

There are several levels of diagnostics, most of which are used in development and production. These

levels may bring on various LEDs, but the level of use for the service technician is that of the last fault.

5.3.1.1 Last Fault

To enter the last fault diagnostics, enter the diagnostic mode as described above, then press the Auto

Dry up button three times. The last fault will be displayed on the drying progress LEDs as described in

Section 5.1.

See if this even goes into the diagnostic mode, let me know thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Bryan. The display is an LCD. which is completely blank. There are no LED's. The Serial # XXXXX XXXXX DE27C is the model and its a top load AeroSmart.

I tried to enter diagnostic mode for my model which is to hold down the wrinkle free and select buttons, but still nothing happens.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

The display module is a "Dumb" module and user interface that passes user settings to the sensor

module and displays information in the form of LED displays transmitted from the sensor module.

I copied this from the service manual I'm thinking you have a bad sensor module, when you push the buttons to set this it sends a signal to the sensor module and then in return the sensor module sends a signal to the LED display, the display itself is called a (dumb module) the sensor module is part number one on this diagram,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
I believe this to be your issue here is a link to the part, if you would like you can call Fisher Pakel again and asked them for sure if the sensor module can cause this problem

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Fisherpaykel-Parts/Dryer-Parts/395628P/0026/426/Model-DE27CW196115A/3068/0151200 ?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=DE27CW196115A&subCompDesc=Chassis%20components/motor%20assy&brandDesc=FISHERPAYKEL&modelDesc=DRYER&blt=11 this is the link to the part the sensor module is $93.49, and part number I found for it is, 395628P that's all I could come up with I've read everything I can find on this and it all points to that, hope this is useful, thanks, Bryan