Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

i have a amana refridgerator model xrss287bw side by side on

i have a amana refridgerator model xrss287bw side by side on the display the temperature number is XXXXX 4degrees also there is a red temp gauge symbol lit up and the fridge is not cooling properly but the freezer is all normal

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you move the food in the freezer and look at the back panel and tell me if there's any Frost on that panel at all?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes there is a fine frozen frost layer on the inside back wall of freezer but remember the fridge is the one not working properly and it is only the fridge's temp reading that is flashing constantly thanx geof
I'm sorry I was off-line, I realize it's the fridge part that's not cooling correctly or flashing constantly but if this Frost in the freezer section this means you have a defrost problem which restricts the airflow to the refrigerator section and will cause this problem you need to remove all the food and remove the back panel inside the freezer, check the coils and see if there really clogged up with Frost behind the panel, let me know I should be here the rest of the day, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am of to work now but i dont think it should be because fridge was in storage for 5 months and have only had on for 2 weeks it worked fine for that time but now got this problem however i will check when i get home after work thanx geof
ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi bryan yes i have taken the back freezer cover off and the cooling element is very frozen if this is the problem why would it freeze so quickly as fridge ran well for 1 week only then this problem and how much ice on cooler is normal i am currently dethoring to start again thanx geof
you have a defrost problem, most likely you need the defrost thermostat replaced.this is by far the most common reason, this is clipped to the top of the coils, defrost the coils with a hair dryer and with a hair dryer and the replace the thermostat. you can get it localy or at this link, thanks Bryan