Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore model 596.76512500. About once every day or

I have a Kenmore model 596.76512500. About once every day or two, the temperature starts to rise in both compartments even though the unit sounds like it is running. The solution for the problem is to unplug the unit for about 20 minutes and then restarting it. The unit then recovers to its normal temperatures. What could be causing this?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

If you open the freezer drawer and move the food out of the way can you tell me if there's any Frost on the back panel inside the freezer? Is the fan in the freezer running?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no frost. The freezer fan is running. At this time the unit is functioning normally (the temperatures are normal).
Okay, okay you need to pull the refrigerator away from the wall and check the condenser fan next to the compressor in the bottom, if this fan is not running or if it's stopping this will cause that issue you're having, you compressor will overheat and it will shut down and not restart until it cools down that's why when you unplug it for a while it cools off and will start again, also on these refrigerators there was a recall on the relays on the compressor, this could also be the issue, have you heard any clicking or buzzing coming from the compressor at any time? These were huge issue and I will see if I can find whether your model was on this recall or not, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fan is running. There is a buzzing and clicking sound that I never heard before this problem started.

Okay, you need to replace the start relay on the compressor,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
yours may look different than this one because they use so many different start relays on these over the different models, does yours look like the one above? This will be plugged onto the side of the compressor, this is the one is showing as a replacement, I didn't see your model on the recall list but they also go by the serial number on some which I don't have if you click this blue link it will take you to the recall list check your serial number and see if yours is on it, this isn't for the relay in general but it makes the relay overheat the problem they have with these, here's the link, I'm going to include a link to the part also so you can replace it if it's not on the the recall, here is that link, it should be just two wires going to that and you just need to pry it off the side of the compressor it just plugs onto three posts on the side of the compressor, thanks and well wishes, Bryan