Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a very old GE dryer that has worked without any problems

We have a very old GE dryer that has worked without any problems until recently. There are occasions in the past few weeks that the heat won't come on no matter which drying cycle we use. However, after trying several times the heat comes on and stays on until the clothes are dry. We figure the fuses are fine since the heat comes on eventually. Have you any idea what could be causing the heat not to come on and what we can do to fix it?

Thank you,
Susan Loewen Washington, DC
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Hello Susan, that model number unfortunately doesn't come up, where did you find that number? Can you open the door and see if there's a tag on the inside right when you open the door with the model number on it? I can't really look at the electrical components without the correct model number. Let me know if you can find anything else on the dryer for numbers, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan,

Sorry, we didn't even think to look in the door.

The model number is XXXXX MDLWH

Serial no. is GG242653 G

Susan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay sorry I wasn't on last night when you sent this Susan, the most likely cause of your problem is the timer, the timer has contacts inside that sometimes get burnt and these contacts don't connect all the time when they are burnt, that's why if you play with it a few times you can get it to work, this is the timer,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
this is still available but it is $108.25, if you don't want that much money into it me like consider at this point a new dryer, but here is a link to order this if you wish, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Circuit-Board-or-Timer/1219?modelNumber=DDE5100MDL hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan