Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an Insinkerator Model 555 SS which is about 7 years

I have an Insinkerator Model 555 SS which is about 7 years old. Lately, it has not been grinding up things completely. When it jams, I am able to unjam it with the wrench and reset button. This is a pretty powerful unit, what could be causing it to not grind properly? Is this something I can fix myself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay how often does is Jam up? It sounds like you have something down under the chopper assembly or something along the side of it that's getting jammed up when you run this, you can't take the chopper assembly out on these unfortunately, have you taken a flashlight and looked real good down inside the disposer? Check all around the edge on the inside and see if you see anything metallic metal or anything that could be getting caught as this turns, if not it's underneath the chopper blade assembly and you can't take this apart, the other thing it could be is the bearings are going and jamming up, if that's the case it's far cheaper to replace the disposer and to have this repaired, this is definitely something I would not have a homeowner try to repair however, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan