Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Have Kenmore Side by Side Model 106.56546400. Am told that

Have Kenmore Side by Side Model 106.56546400. Am told that it need a Thermistor. The problem is the freezer is sitting at 20 below and everything is a brick. I am very handy and would like to install this Thermistor myself. Can you provide suggestions?
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

sure give me a few minutes to bring up your diagrams.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. I have the appliance manual in PDF on the screen if that is of help I can send it to you via email

Sal

Okay the thermistor is part number 6 on this diagram,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
it's in the refrigerated section up the left corner top right where your damper assembly is, this is the part with the air comes through from the freezer section , # XXXXX on the diagram.

Register Here

Register Here
hope this info helps, thanks Bryan

Register Here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The diagram that you send is blown up beyond the perameters of the screen and can only show a limited portion of the illustration. Any "tips" on removing this part and obtaining a replacement part at a reduced price? Sears wanted to replace both the Thermistor and Circuit Board with $18 for Thermistor and $209 for the circuit board. A little steep to me

Sal

Sorry about that, lately the diagrams have been too big to fit on the screen, for some reason I don't know why at any rate here is a link to the diagram so you can open up yourself, I wouldn't replace the board until you try the thermistor first, I would try the thermistor and if that doesn't work then you may need the board, take the screws out marked number 10 on the diagram and remove the plastic cover over the damper, from their it's fairly easy.

Here's the link,

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-10656546400/0582/0165000/K0707001/00002?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=10656546400 Sears always tries to sell you everything and they are really expensive, the thermistor is only $8.70 at this link

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/1057763 and the electronic control is $180.70 at this link

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Circuit-Board-or-Timer/1059846

Register Here
but I would replace that to you try replacing the thermistor first, thanks, Bryan