Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello, Ive got a Whirlpool AWM 8121 washing machine and

Ive got a Whirlpool AWM 8121 washing machine and when starting the program the light door open lights up and machine stops. However the door is not open. What could the problem be?

Thanks

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

The problem is one of the switches the door lock assembly is not sensing the door is closed and locked, in other words the control board thinks the doors open, there are micro switches in the door lock assembly that tell the board the door is closed and locked, you need to replace the door latch assembly, hope this helps thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks for the info. I've taken the door lock switch out and opened it up and it looks like its worn and doesn't connect properly the three connections anymore.(little plastic bit doesnt lock in anymore when I push the bit where the door slides in with a screwdriver)
Is there a way to shorten out the 3 blue cables until I can get a new switch?
I guess not to connect them all 3 together?
Roland
no, unfortunately, you can burn up the board, these need to lock and unlock when necessary to reset the board, it will need to be replaced, thanks, Bryan