Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Maytag A407 is full of water after the spin cycle. How

My Maytag A407 is full of water after the spin cycle. How do I take off the front panel to check the pump?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay on the bottom of the front panel there are two screws, I can't get the diagrams this machine is pretty old so they've taken the diagrams out of the system, but there are two screws that go up in at an angle if you look at the bottom of the panel, if you look at this picture on the left side top, (the panel is laying on its side) you will see the holes the screws go through, remove the two screws and pull the panel out from the bottom and it will unclip from the top and then you can get to the pump and the hoses, the balance however are underneath the machine in this could be your problem you may have broken a belt or one may of come off, you would need to empty the machine by hand and tip it back to see those, there's no video presentation for this that I know of,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
this is the drain pump,

Register Here
you may have a sock stuck in it or in the hose that comes from the tub to the pump, but if you pull the hose off this full of water your going to a have a flood, so emptying the machine by hand first and checking the belts would be the way I would start let me know which find, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I get the front panel off?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
There are two Phillips head screws in the bottom of the panel if you look at the picture above you can see the hole on the left side top, at the bottom of the panel it kind of goes in at an angle, the screws are right down there, if you lay on the floor and look at the bottom of the panel about 3 inches up from the bottom of the panel you will see the screws remove those and then grab the panel at the bottom on each side and pull it out, if you go out about three quarters of the way up it will unclip from the top and you can remove the whole panel,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. I don't see a picture that corresponds to the outside of the front panel.

2. I can't feel any place under the patel where I can actually get into with a phillips.

I'll keep trying while I wait for your answer. I'll also be bailing water. (Meanwhile, I'm also making supper, so if I don't respond immediately, I'll be back shortly.)

DA

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Okay I went to see if I can find diagrams somewhere for this, all my databases no longer have the diagrams in them, I will keep trying though, when you're panel goes towards the bottom does it go in at an angle? That's with the picture is showing in this machine I know, if you click this link it will show a picture of the panel, it's late on inside though so the bottom is on the right side in this picture, this yours look like that?

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id=4025552

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still have no picture in my mind of how to disconnect the front panel. Meanwhile, I'm bailing water. I don't see a "tool" on this email in which to send you a picture of what I have.

DA

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay the tool you use is in the bar on the top between the chain-link and the you tube icons, it's the green tree, you can link a picture there, I'm sorry this is so difficult I'm having a real hard time finding the diagrams for it, I'm still looking though. When I can get a diagram I will send it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Register Here

Try this picture.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Sorry cant open it, how much water do you have left in it,? Is it almost empty?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm down to the last coujple of inches of water in the bottom--just over the bottom of the agitator.

DA

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay great, when you get this down as far as you can try sliding the machine forward away from the wall and tip it back and lean it against the wall, be careful though you may need to take the drain hose out of the drain this is has a stiff drain hose a thick one that connects to a plastic piece on the back of the washer, if you pull it away from the wall and tip it without taking the hose out of the drain you can break that plastic piece, just take the hose out of the drain take a piece of string and tie it up while you do this, then check the belts right underneath the machine, also while you have it tipped back check and see if you can see the screws in the panel, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, Thanks. I've got it that far now. I'm going to eat supper now, and I'll be back in about ten minutes for the final diagnosis.

DA

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I need to go feed my Mom, I'll be back in about an hour, just reply and I will get it when I return.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm back. Even with the machine propped up, I'm not finding any phillips screws. I do see a sheet metal screw with a bolt head. Could that be it?

.

Forget that. I found the phillips and removed the front panel. I can't tell anything from outside appearance except that some water dripped out from around the pump at some point in the day during a spin cycle.

Is there any test that I can do to check the pump? If not, what is the cost of repairing/replacing the pump?

DA

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I just got back, what I would do is get some towels and keep the machine tipped back against the wall take the hose off between the tub and the pump, you may have something like a sock or something like that either up in the tub where the hose connects to the tub or there may be something in the pump itself or the hose, also remove the belt from underneath that goes to the pump and turn the pump by hand make sure it's free, if the pump has been leaking out of the little screw in the side of the shaft part then the pump needs to be replaced, the pump is available and there are three screws 5/16 inch holding it in from the bottom very easy to replace, here is a link to order the pump if you need it,

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/1480330?modelNumber=A407 just click the blue link, also you can stick your finger down or a screwdriver down into the pump and turn the pulley underneath by hand and if the impeller blades stay still and the pulley turns in the pump is stripped and would be need to be replaced, also blow through the drain hose make sure that that is clear, sometimes if the belts are stretched it won't drain also, hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.