John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

1994 AMANA SZD27. RUNNING FINE 24 HRS AGO. NOW SEEMS TO HAVE

Customer Question

1994 AMANA SZD27. RUNNING FINE 24 HRS AGO. NOW SEEMS TO HAVE GONE INTO DEFROST MODE ( FAN RUNS, TURNS OFF WHEN FREEZER TURNED OFF ). HAS ADAPTIVE DEFROST. I "RESET" IT BY UNPLUGGING FOR ONE FULL MINUTE ( SEVERAL TIMES ), AND NO CHANGE. COMPRESSOR DOES NOT SEEM TO BE RUNNING. IS THERE A RELAY OR CONTROL UNIT THAT FAILS ON THIS MODEL? I'M A AUTO TECH, BUT FRIDGES ARE NOT MY GAME. SUDDEN FAILURE SUGGEST, TO ME, ELECTRONIC VS MECHANICAL CAUSE. IS 16+ YRS ALL I SHOULD EXPECT? AM CONSIDERING REPLACING IT UNLESS A REPAIR CAN BE MADE INEXPENSIVELY. IT'S JUST A VERY BAD TIME FOR A LARGE PURCHASE. THE ECONOMY HAS NOT BEEN KIND TO US LATELY, EXCEPT THAT WE STILL HAVE A JOB. WORK IS VERY SLOW. I APPECIATE ANY LIGHT YOU CAN SHED ON THIS. STAN
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.

Is the freezer and fridge warm? do you hear any noise from the unit or is it totally dead other then the lights operating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
a fan is runing unless I turn freezer contol dial to off... then unit is quiet. lights DO work.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Pull the unit out from the wall and remove the lower panel in the rear. Behind here you will see the compressor. Feel the compressor and let me know if it is hot/warm or cold/room temp. Also need to know if the fan beside the compressor is blowing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

AM AT WORK RIGHT NOW. I WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND TO THIS ACCURATELY WHEN I GET HOME. FYI , I'VE EMPTIED AND UNPLUGGED THE DEVICE IN THE INTERIM. I, HOWEVER , BELIEVE THAT COMPRESSOR IS NOT WORKING. HENCE, MY QUESTION ABOUT A RELAY.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok you will need to plug it back in for a couple hours. Need to know if the compressor gets hot and you hear a clicking noise or if the compressor stays cold. There are a few things that can cause the problem you are having.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HAVE TO CHECK YOU LATER THEN. THE BOX IS 30 MILES AWAY.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok to come back to this question go to your email inbox and click on the link to this question in one of the emails you have been sent.