Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE washing machine 8 cycle, 2 speed, heavy duty,

I have a GE washing machine: 8 cycle, 2 speed, heavy duty, extra capacity. The dial that selects the cycle only turns idly and won't click in to the grove or pull out to engage the machine to change the cycle. Can you help? I have tried pushing the dial in further (to start to washer), which didn't work- (it's already pushed in all the way). I have tried pulling the dial out (to switch cycles) which didn't work either. It appears to be stuck in the 'pushed in' mode which makes sense because it got stuck in mid cycle and couldn't click into the grove and turn the dial further, thereby completing the cycle. Can you help? Thanks.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

and if this would also be helpful:

SER: SR128063G

Thank you again.
This is a very common problem on this model number. The gears on the back of your knob have just stripped out and the knob needs to be replaced. Below is a link to the knob you'll want to order.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I have ordered the part. Am I allowed to ask for instructions on how to replace the knob upon arrival or can you direct me to an online manual for these dirctions? Or is beyond your required services for this website?
no of course you can ask. It's very easy to replace, there is just a little trick. Pull the knob out as far as you can. Look behind the knob and you'll see a clip behind the knob holding on the knob. Push the clip off with a flat head screwsdriver or pull the clip off with needle nose pliers. Once the clip is off, the knob just pulls straight off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you SO much! We found the clip right where you said it would be and it came off perfectly. Thank you again for all your help!