Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

my refrigerator is not cooling. One side has frost building

my refrigerator is not cooling. One side has frost building up on it and the other side is not blowing out any air at all. The light comes on when I open the door so I know that its getting power.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.

You have frost on the rear lower panel inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no the frost is coming down into the refrigerator part where the cold air blows in.
Ok the problem here is a blocked defrost drain, Follow the directions below to clear the problem.

Remove the shelfs and food from the freezer then take out the panel at the back of freezer. You will see ice build up in the drain pan below the evaporator. Melt ice with hairdryer/heat gun you will see a hole in pan that leads to drain tube. Pour some hot water in pan..wait a couple minutes. Mop up water and repeat this step 2-3 times....once you have done this find some flexible curtain wire or electrical wire and poke it down the hole until you see the water drain. Now it is clear.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If you have no further questions please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort. Thanks. Mike
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got all of the ice out but shouldnt the fan come on or does it take it awhile for the motor to kick in.
Once you put the unit back together and shut the door the evaporator fan and compressor should kick in strait away.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It still hasnt come on yet. Do you know if the motors are expensive to buy and hard to install.
You mean the fan motor? does the compressor come on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yeah i can hear the compressor running but the fan is not moving.

Ok then the evaporator fan motor is likely bad.

Click HERE to order a new motor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry i took so long. Now is this motor definately the right one for my fridge and how long does it usually take to ship to me?

You would have to check with appliance parts pros when you order the motor to see how long it takes to ship. Yes this is the correct fan motor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I really appreciate all your help. I just have one last question for you. Is this gonna be hard for me to install?
Your welcome :) no should be a matter of a few screws and switching the wires. Pretty strait forward.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

O.k. cool. I should have the part in about 2 days and then the fun begins. Thanks again.

Ok dont forget if you have any other questions or need further help you can come back to this question. Mike