Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

my Frigidaire refrigerator model FRT17B3JW....a 17 cu ft,

my Frigidaire refrigerator model FRT17B3JW....a 17 cu ft, freezer on top model, which I bought about two and a half years ago has started making a kind of strange little noise in recent months....it's a high pitched "whirring" noise that "runs" independent of the compressor sound....is this one of the fans' bearings wearing out or something? The refrigerator is holding its temperature just fine in the lower and freezer section (I have thermometers in each)....but since this high pitched whirring sound is kind of new I am puzzled and a little nervous.....should I be?
Help!
Steve
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.
Can you tell which area of the fridge the sound is coming from ?

If this has been helpfull please press accept.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't tell.....it's coming from "somewhere" inside the ref......it's not what I'd call a loud noise...kind of a soft but quite detectable noise....as I said before, a kind of high pitch but not "grating" whirring noise....a sound that something mechanical would make to my ears but it's coming from way inside the ref....when I try to determine "where" it's coming from I can't except that's it's somewhere deep inside the ref
Well there are only two fans in the fridge one is inside the freezer which is the evap fan. The other is behind the fridge next to the compressor it is the condenser fan. There is nothing mechanical inside the fridge compartment other then the defrost timer. It is located where the controls for the fridge are. From what you have said it could be the condenser fan motor is starting to wear out. You would need to pull the fridge out and remove the lower back panel to access it.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Three more things I would like you to comment on/answer, please....

First, this whirring noise is louder or softer at different times....it varies...it can start out soft and as time goes on it starts getting louder....any comments on that?

Is it unusual/not unusual for such a problem to crop up on this new a refrigerator....only two years and four months old to be exact?

Finally, since the ref is holding its proper temp for now, what would you do (assuming you were me and I am NOT an appliance repair guy) about this problem? Would you just wait until "something breaks"? AND actually that raises another question...related....IF I just "wait" and do nothing about this matter and it IS the fan going out, HOW WILL THAT PLAY OUT ....what will happen and will it happen suddenly or gradually?

1) This could be due to the fan shaft moving back and forth in the motor.
2) Age realy does not matter now a days. They are not built like they use to be.
3)If you can pinpoint it I would replace it now. If not when it does fail the fridge will start to get warmer within a few hours.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last question.....IF I wait for this "thing" to fail before "fixing" could the resulting failure do additional damage to the ref....by that I mean will I wind up spending more money getting a repair IF I wait for "whatever this problem is" to fail than if I call a repair guy now to fix this present problem?
No like I said you will notice within a few hours of the failure. So there will not be any further damaged caused.

Register Here
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience