Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I am experiencing problems with water freezing in the plastic

I am experiencing problems with water freezing in the plastic tube that fills the ice maker which clogs the tube and prevents ice from being made. The ice maker works fine as long as the tube is open. I have tried turning the freezer off and melting the ice clog. Then when I turn it back on it makes a cycle or two of ice and then ices back up. This is a recent problem. I have had the Kitchenaid refrigerator for 13 years and never had any real problems witht the ice maker. I have checked the plastic tube on the back to make sure it is not cracked or leaking and I can not find anything unusual. Its almost as if there is an air leak somewhere but Iam not having any problems with food thawing in the freezer compartment.
Puzzled???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

when it does make ice do the cubes seem small or hollow in nature?

Also can I get the complete model number of the unit from inside the fridge section located on the wall?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The cubes are normal size and shape and are not hollow. When it can fill,it works fine. I am not at home so I will have to get the numbers and get back to you tomorrow.
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.
No problem with that, the most likely problem is a leaky water valve where you hook up the water line from the fridge to the house. this would cause the exact problems you are having with the unit...

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

NEGATIVE FEEDBACK should not be given, I am willing if my advice is not SATISFACTORY to give you a refund of your deposit. I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

If you are on a SUPSCRIPTION PLAN for JustAnswers you still need to press the GREEN ACCEPT button, you will not be charged more than you monthly subscription rate you have??

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you be more specific. The connection is inside the house and there is no leak at that connection
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.
The valve itself is allowing water to go past it slowly causing your fill tube to freeze, very common problem with water valves on refridgerators..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I need to replace the valve or just adjust it?
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.

No adjustment on the unit, you will need to replace the entire valve to stop the leak.