esequiel walker
esequiel walker, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp
15396620

I have a GE Profile refridgerator and a funny noise soulds

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile refridgerator and a funny noise soulds like it is comming form the ice maker. The noise sounds like a fan hitting something. Can you tell me what it is ?

Also we have has the unit or approx two years and we have never used the water or ice despenser. Thsi waqs because we were told we needed to replace the water line. The line has been replaced and we have tried to turn the water on but it doesnt work.

HELP !!!!!!!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 3 years ago.

esequiel walker :

hi do u see any ice build up in the freezer inside backwall panel

Customer :

Yes I do

Customer :

Actually not in the freezer but in the upper refirdgerator portion....

esequiel walker :

what is the temperature set on

Customer :

Where is the temp guage?

esequiel walker :

on the fridge side

esequiel walker :

are things freezing up

Customer :

No

esequiel walker :

is it iceing up in the fridge side by the vents

Customer :

yes

esequiel walker :

ok that means that the damper control which is a motorized vent that opens and closes by temp is not closing

Customer :

will that require a tech to come out ?

esequiel walker :

yes as he will have to dissasemble the inside of the fridge

esequiel walker :

and remove the freezer inside wall panel to address the fan issue

esequiel walker :

on this brand everything is electronic

Customer :

is it possile that there is ice build up can I lower the temp and see if the ice melts ????

esequiel walker :

what is it set on now

esequiel walker :

the fridge side should be between 3 and 4

esequiel walker :

the freezer on 2

Customer :

Still cant find the unit temp control...is it on the front electronic panel ?

esequiel walker :

yes

Customer :

I'll check.......give me a minute

esequiel walker :

ok

Customer :

fridge has actual temps it is on 36'....I changed the freezer to 2 but -12 keeps popping up.........

esequiel walker :

thats fine for the freezer the fridge set it to 38 that should regulate the temp and eliminate the ice on the vent

Customer :

will that solve the problem ????

esequiel walker :

that will fix you up ok

Customer :

so the sound should dissapear?

esequiel walker :

the sound should go away when it goes to defrost mode

Customer :

So increasing the temps should make the unit enter the defrost mode?

esequiel walker :

no it goes in to defrost mode by itself anyways all fridges do

esequiel walker :

all you have to do is let it go

esequiel walker :

you have done all you can its up to the fridge to self adjust

Customer :

This sound has been around for the last few days, the unit should have defrosted aready, right ?

esequiel walker :

it defrost ever 10 to 12 hours if you dont feel comfortable with the sound then by all means contact a technician it may be a simple blade loose or rattling bracket etc

Customer :

Thanks

esequiel walker :

pressing accept is how i get paid thank you

esequiel walker :

good luck