Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

My refrigerator does not cool but my freezer is ok. My model

My refrigerator does not cool but my freezer is ok. My model has the fridge on top and freezer on the bottom. I already cleaned the vent in front and back turned it off for several hours. The fan in the fridge appears to be working properly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 years ago.

Randy 43 :

hi, you had frost on the back panel of the freezer section?

Customer :

no

Randy 43 :

the fan is in the freezer section correct?

Customer :

There is a little ice buildup in the back of the freezer. If there is only one fan, it is in the freezer section, yes.

Randy 43 :

ice buildup on the rear panel?

Customer :

yes

Randy 43 :

you didnt have that rear panel off right?

Randy 43 :

but you can verify the fan is running?

Customer :

No, I have not taken anything apart.

Customer :

Yes, I can hear it and see it moving when I look at the back of the unit.

Randy 43 :

in the fridge section at the back center there is a grill..the center snaps out, this is the fridge damper ,can you see if it is open?

Customer :

yes it iopen

Randy 43 :

slight frost on the rear panel is a sign of a defrost issue in behind that panel

Randy 43 :

it will be more heavily frosted, causin no air flow to the fridge section

Customer :

I don't see any frost in the fridge panel.

Randy 43 :

3 components in the defrost circuit, heater, thermostat and main board

Randy 43 :

no, the frost in the freezer section

Customer :

What about the frost in the freezer section?

Randy 43 :

the fan in the freezer draws air across the coil in behind the freezer panel blows it thru the damper up in the fridge section

Randy 43 :

you have confirmed the fan is ok and the damper is open

Customer :

Does that mean it is frozen up in the freezer section?

Randy 43 :

frost on the back panel indicates a defrost issue, one of the 3 components in the defrost circuit are defective

Randy 43 :

yes,it is frozen but it will continue to happen unless fault is repaired

Customer :

So what is the short term and long term fix?

Randy 43 :

heater and thermostat can be checked for continuity,if these are ok ? the problem is in the board

Randy 43 :

heater and thermostat are in behind that freezer panel

Randy 43 :

board up in fridge section at top/front

Randy 43 :

Main Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

Main Product View
Full Size Image

Customer :

Stepped out? Coming back?

Randy 43 :

im here

Customer :

What is the next step?

Randy 43 :

any questions? i dont know your mechanical ability? you would req a meter and be able to remove the rear panel to access these parts, but one of them is open causing the frosting, usually not the heater, i would suspect thermostat,then board

Customer :

In order to get it to work now I need to turn it off and defrost the freezer, correct? In order to resolve this issue permanently I need to fix the problem with the board?

Randy 43 :

yes, you would need to defrost it , but it isnt necessarily the board, it is one of 3 parts i mentioned..you have a defrost problem but the 3 components need to be checked for continuity to see which one is defective

Customer :

Are these normal warranty items? This fridge is only about 3 years old.

Randy 43 :

no,they are covered for only 1 year, but they are a lot less inexpensive than a compressor or sealed system repair would be

Customer :

Ok. thanks.

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert